Monday, April 24, 2017

Training log - Week ending 4/23/17

This week was 34 miles of running,  32 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Another oddly structured week.    After Tuesday's workout, which was great (but too fast), I received an email from my coach confirming that the morning's workout had been great.  But too fast.  And it would be a good idea to pool-run on Wednesday and Thursday to be safe.

My coach doesn't send emails like that for kicks, so I took it seriously.  Pool-running it was (I grumbled).  Better two days voluntarily than a week or more involuntarily.

I suspect my coach was also trying to rest me up for this weekend's 10K.  Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to him, this was not a particularly restful week.  I had a conference in downtown DC on Wednesday and Thursday that resulted in a LOT of walking up and down stairs and from building to building.  

And then Friday and Saturday were my 25th high school reunion.  (yes, I know that I graduated from high school around the same time some of my teammates were born).  More walking.  More standing.  More socializing in large groups, which drains introvert me.  So...not ideal from a recovery/race prep standpoint.  But not every race is a goal race mandating obsessive rest.  Life is important too, and the reunion was awesome and more than worth any detriment to my Sunday race performance.

I did take an ice bath on Saturday to try to pep my legs up a little.  Life got exciting when one of our kittens decided to check out the bar of soap on the opposite side of the tub and slipped partially into the ice bath (back end).  What was hilarious was that Quartz was so focused on the elusive and alluring soap bar that she paid the ice water no heed.  So there we both sat - me shivering and her pawing at the soap bar.  She didn't start squawking until I extricated her from ice bath (and bar of soap).

My recovery tricks didn't work completely - I was still a bit tired on Sunday morning.  But I ran well, so I can't really argue with the result.  I think I got away with it because of the relatively short distance and my marathon background, which enabled me to grind it out.  But I definitely need to prioritize relative rest the next few days to make sure I'm fresh for Broad Street in two weeks, and don't burn out before Grandma's Half in June.

Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, yoga and 7 "miles" pool-running. Foam rolling at night.  (also took the day off from work to track the Boston Marathon)

Tuesday
: In the morning, 12 miles, including a 3.5 mile warm-up (8:58); 2x(1600, 800) in 5:55, 2:49, 5:51, 2:47; 4 mile cooldown (9:08).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Massage at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 12 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night. (also walked around a conference all day.)

Thursday: In the morning, upper body weights and core and 7 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night. (also walked around a conference all day.)

Friday: In the morning, 7 miles, most easy (9:05) but with a mile at 6:23 pace.  Followed with drills, strides, and foam rolling.  Touring my old high school at night.

Saturday:  In the morning, 3 miles very easy (9:27) plus DIY yoga to open up my hips.  Foam rolling and an ice bath midday.

Sunday: In the morning, 3 mile warm-up, 10K race in 38:56, 3 mile cooldown.  Around noon, did 6 "miles" pool-running and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Helped a friend move in the afternoon.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment