Sunday, July 9, 2017

Training log - Week ending 7/9/17

This week was 57 miles of running, 18 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Week 1 of marathon training is in the books.  I kicked it off with a casual four mile race that provided karmic balance to my good races from earlier this year (confession: achieving karmic balance wasn't my purpose in running that four miler).

I also struggled some with the last repeats of Friday's hill workout.  I first attributed this to the horrendous humidity (temperature and dew point of 73).  However, when I puffed my rescue inhaler during the cooldown, the result was almost instant relief.   Albuterol doesn't fix humidity or lack of fitness, so this indicated that my asthma was raising its ugly head.

Pretty disappointing, though not totally unexpected.  About 10 days ago, as part of my "how low can I go with my asthma prescriptions now that I'm on Xolair" experiment, I had dropped my Advair dosage from the 250/50 strength to the 100/50 strength.  But it's now looking like that might be too low, so back on the 250/50 I go.  Oh well.

I also added in a double this week, with an evening pool-run.  As my training cycle progresses, I'll do more of these evening pool-running doubles (I would have done another one on Saturday, except that I was out of town).  Just like last year.

My coach and I are re-using last summer's Chicago training plan for Mohawk-Hudson - the only difference is that my training paces will be a bit faster, since I'm starting the cycle with more fitness and speed than I had last year at this time.

My land mileage for this cycle will be the same as it was this spring (for 5K-half training) and the same as it was for the Chicago marathon cycle - I'll still be averaging 50-60-ish miles on land.  And just like before, the primary distinction between my short distance training and my marathon training will be a) longer long runs, and b) more pool-running, including evening pool-running.

There are some people who believe that you should always be trying to progress your training by increasing mileage each cycle.  I understand the reasoning, but that's not for me.   As I've learned in the past year, I race better on less mileage and a limited number of long runs.  My endurance is my strength, and so there's really no need to hammer at that by maxing out the mileage.  Rather, I try to stay as fresh as I can while doing the minimum necessary to develop marathon fitness and comfort at marathon pace.  The training plan for Chicago last year hit that balance perfectly.

Since what we're doing is working right now, there's no good reason to "fix" it.  We'll just hold the course until I plateau.  If that happens, then my coach and I will decide what, if anything, needs to change.


Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, 4 miles very easy (9:05) and then a gentle yoga class (I don't usually do yoga the day before a race, but it was a class I really wanted to support, so I showed up and childs-posed the more intense parts).  Foam roller and ice bath in the afternoon.

Tuesday: 3 mile warm-up, and then 4-ish mile race in 26:58.   Later did 6 "miles" pool-running and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 7.5 miles very easy to yoga (9:03), yoga, and then 4.5 miles very easy (9:02).  Sports massage in afternoon.

Thursday: In the morning, upper body weights and core followed by 9 "miles" pool-running.  Another 3 "miles" of pool-running and foam rolling at night

Friday: 10 miles, including 6 hill repeats (~500m up, then 200m jog, 100m stride, and 100m jog down to base of hill). Followed with injury prevention work and 1250 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (9:17) followed by drills and two strides, and upper body weights and core.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 14 miles progressive, split as first 5 at 9:13 pace, next 4 at 7:55, last 5 at 6:57.  Followed with injury prevention work and 750 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling in afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. You have a long history of running high mileage so I think that ends up working in your favor when it comes to the marathon. You've been consistently running high mileage for years and I think that consistency has led to you having a very strong endurance base. Great week!

    ReplyDelete