Monday, September 25, 2017

Training log - Week ending 9/24/2017

This week was 46 miles of running, 32 "miles" of pool-running and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

This week was race recovery and taper.    For the first two days, I kept things in the pool.  Then I returned to land running, but started reducing the mileage, cutting it ever so slightly.

For my taper, I'm just echoing my taper for Chicago last year.  It worked before, so I'll stick with it as a general map, with some variation depending on how I feel from day to day.

Over the next two weeks I'll be reducing my volume while maintaining both the rhythm of my workouts and maintaining (or even slightly increasing) the intensity of my track workouts.  I've found that if I eliminate runs or pool-runs altogether, I get stale.  Far better to keep the doubles, but reduce the time - near the end of my taper, my evening pool-runs will be 10 minutes - a single mile.  Similarly, if I pull back too much on the speedwork, I get very dull.  Turning my legs over helps me peak, and it's time to peak.

[note: this is what works for me.   On the off chance that anyone reads my blog for guidance, please understand that this is not a blanket recommendation.   Tapering is extremely individual, and some people fare better with a larger cutback in work.  Or conversely, a very minimal taper.]

I am eliminating yoga classes for the next two weeks.  Part of it is a general "reducing the workload" - but I'm also paranoid about being exposed to those whom think it's appropriate to attend a class while sick.  Instead, I'll sub in more "DIY yoga" - a short 10 minute routine I do that includes all the poses that I like and none that I don't.  Again, keeping the rhythm but reducing the volume.

My weight lifting will follow a similar path to my running - I'll keep going to the gym to lift, and I'll lift the same weights, but I'll cut back the numbers of reps and sets.  In the last week, it will get ridiculous, as I stop by the gym for 5 minutes to do two sets of pull-ups and push-ups, and then leave. But this is what works for me.

***

As I noted above, I took the first part of the week easy, before returning to hard running with Friday's track workout.  I felt lousy during the workout, but that wasn't surprising.  After both of my previous halves this year, I took at least one full week off from fast running - a reflection of my personal ability to recover.

I chose to do Friday's workout anyways because I knew it would be minimal and restrained, and getting my legs turning over would be a good first step towards peaking.  I don't need to feel good now.  In fact, I'd be moderately concerned if I did feel good that I had peaked too soon.  I just need to feel good in two weeks.

Sunday was my last long run, which I ran solo.  My plan going in was to run the last 6 miles on the conservative side of marathon pace, to really lock in that feeling of holding back.  Before I started the run, I thought that 6:55 - 7:00 would be good and conservative.  But it ended up being a surprisingly hot and humid morning, and the headwind for the last 6 miles didn't help either.  I ended up dialing the pace back to between 7:05-7:10 to accommodate the weather.  But that was OK - what I really cared about was practicing the skill of staying relaxed, focused, and positive during the run (as opposed to how I lost focus at the end of my tune-up race).  And I accomplished that, which was more of confidence booster than faster miles would have been.

Two weeks to go.

Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, foam-rolling, yoga, and 4 "miles" pool-running;

Tuesday: In the morning, 9 "miles" of pool-running and injury prevention work.  4 "miles" pool-running and a sports massage at night.

Wednesday: In the morning, 6.5 miles very easy to yoga (9:42), yoga, and then another 3.5 miles very easy (9:13) plus drills and two hill sprints.  4 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling at night.

Thursday: In the morning,  upper body weights and core, and 7 "miles" pool-running.  2 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling at night

Friday: 10 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:36 (6:21/6:15) and 6:05.  Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: In the morning, 10 miles very easy (8:56) followed by drills, strides, foam rolling, and upper body strengthwork and core.  2 "miles" pool-running in the afternoon.

Sunday:  16 miles, split as the first 5 miles averaging 8:54 pace, next 5 averaging 7:44 pace, last 6 miles averaging 7:08 pace.  Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming, plus foam rolling.

1 comment:

  1. I REALLY admire you for going to the pool to just do 10 minutes. That's true dedication. I agree that the taper varies greatly from individual to individual. I am at my best with a very short taper. Your week looks solid, you've done the work, and soon it will be go time!

    ReplyDelete