Sunday, October 1, 2017

Training log - week ending 10/1/2017

This week was 48 miles of running, 19 "miles" of pool-running and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

The week that things turned around (which is awfully dramatic, but also a fun way to lead things off).  As noted previously, I felt pretty lousy all of last week.  This wasn't unexpected or necessarily concerning - I had all the accumulated fatigue of the marathon cycle to shake off, compounded by the half-marathon.    And a reprise of this summer's heat and humidity didn't help.

I usually try not to cut back too sharply too early in the taper - I've learned that doing so leaves me flat on race day.  But I ended up putting the belt on for Monday morning's pool-run anyway and keeping that to 40 minutes in an attempt to freshen up.  In the broader scheme of my training week, this was a very small change.  But either it helped, or the timing was right to feel better anyway.  Each day this week, I felt a little sharper and a little better.  Perfect timing.  As of Sunday my energy levels were way up.  (and I also developed acne and sinus pain - two things that always happen when I taper, for some reason).  Cooler weather didn't hurt.

So now I just need to cruise through this last week and get to the marathon ready to run. I'll follow the same taper I did before - easy pool on Monday, very short track workout on Tuesday, 6 easy on Wednesday, 4 on Thursday with a mile at "early part of marathon pace."  Then nothing but travel on Friday, and 1 mile easy on Saturday.

So now we see what happens.  I think I'm in really good shape, so if the running gods smile, I should have a good day.  If the running gods frown, then I'll likely have a good story to tell.


Dailies 

Monday: 4 "miles" pool-running (with the belt) and upper body weights in the morning; 3 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 2x1600, 2x800 (5:58, 6:04, 2:51, 2:50), followed by light injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy (9:09) plus drills, strides, and DIY yoga. 2 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Thursday: 6 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core in the morning; 2 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling at night.

Friday: 9 miles, including a 5K tempo on the track in 19:26 (6:21/6:10/6:12/0:43),  followed by injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 8 miles very easy (9:10), plus drills and strides, followed by upper body weights/core and DIY yoga.  2 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday: 12 miles aerobic (7:46).  Foam rolling in afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck next weekend Cris. Go get 'em! May the Gods be with you....

    ReplyDelete