Monday, October 16, 2017

Training log - Week ending 10/15/17

This week was 42 miles of running and 13 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

This was an admittedly disheveled final taper and race week, since I didn't know until midday on Thursday which marathon I was racing (and more importantly, whether I was racing on Saturday or Sunday).

In retrospect, I wish I had committed early in the week to one marathon and stuck with it, instead of going back and forth.  I wasted a lot of energy reviewing (and reviewing) weather forecasts, race reports, city maps, and flight schedules during days that I should have been conserving energy.   Plus the nearly last minute swap from a Sunday marathon to a Saturday race meant that I spent far more time on my feet in the last 48 hours than I would have liked.

I like my last three days pre-marathon to look something like this:

Day M-3: 3-4 miles - most easy but with the last mile on the conservative side of MP.  Also some very light upper body weights to keep things primed
Day M-2: Nothing except travel and grabbing bib at expo.  And Chipotle.
Day M-1: Hide in hotel room, emerging only for a 1 mile solo shake-out jog, plus Chipotle.

Moving my marathon up from Sunday to Saturday meant that I skipped "Day M-1."  Instead of topping off my tank both mentally and physically in the last 24 hours, I was driving from DC to Baltimore, then flying to Hartford, then renting a car, then driving to my hotel, then checking in, then hitting the expo.  (and hitting the expo twice because I forgot to buy gels and a hat the first time)

It was more time on my feet than I like for the last day pre-marathon.  And far too much human interaction for introvert me.

[If I don't want to hang out with you pre-marathon, please understand that it's really not about you.  It's about me doing what I need to do for me.]

I don't think I lost a lot because of this, but I lost something.  I wasn't sharp in the way I would have been had I had that final day.  And running a race on an unexpected course in an unintended city cost me something as well.  It wasn't a huge detriment, but I was missing my normal pre-race enthusiasm.

However, all the chaos of the last two weeks was valuable, in that it forced me to experiment with my taper in a way I wouldn't normally dare.  Lessons learned about tapering:

1) A 5 week taper from the last 20 miler is totally fine for me.  Heck, I think I could get away with a 6 week taper, if needed.

I think that this is individual to me - I rarely have trouble covering long distances - it's just a question of maintaining pace while doing so.  And thus, I don't need to worry about maintaining pure endurance in the same way someone else might.  As long as I keep the intensity up during the longer taper, I'm good to go.  Others with different strengths and weaknesses might have different results.

Related to this, I've now raced marathons after 3, 4, and 5 week tapers.  I can honestly say that I prefer 4 weeks, then 5, and then 3.  Again, that's for me personally.  I recover very slowly from 20-milers, and so I think that 3 weeks is almost too little for me.  At the same time, I don't lose my ability to cover the distance with the extra time, and so the longer taper gains me far more than I lose.

I obviously need to discuss with my coach, but I'd happily never ever do a 3 week taper again.  I'd rather do the last 20 at least 4 weeks out, then a marathon pace workout 3 weeks out.

2) Because of the last minute change in plans, I really only carb-loaded for 36 hours.  And my focus was more on salt-loading than carb-loading.  And that was fine.  (I know this because if poor carb-loading had been a problem, the wheels would have fallen off somewhere near mile 20).

This matches my own personal experience that too much carb-loading pre-race makes me run like a stuffed turkey, while eating less carbs pre-race (and more fat, protein, and salt) and then relying on many gels on course results in a far smoother and more enjoyable race.

Again, this is very individual to me.  Other people can eat tons of carbs without feeling bloated and sluggish and lightheaded.  And many people have difficulties carrying or consuming as many gels as I do on course (8 this time).  It's all very individual - do what works for you.  This is what works for me.

[aside - I suspect that my race-fueling idiosyncrasies are related to the fact that I have a strong diabetes history on both sides of my family, and am mildly insulin-resistant myself.  I just don't handle carbs, especially sugars, very well unless I'm burning them off immediately.  Heavy carb consumption at rest sends my energy levels on a roller-coaster ride into a wall.  Thus I do far better when I a) don't go too overboard on the eating pre-race; b) make sure to combine the carbs with adequate fat and protein to balance stuff out, and c) then supplement heavily with simple sugars on course, so I'm burning the carbs as I ingest them. 

Again,  this is what works for me and is very different from what works for the majority.  Please don't mimic me here unless nothing else has ever worked for you in multiple marathons.]

3) I really do need to travel at least 2 days pre-marathon, and to spend the last 24 hours in a solitary, monk-like state - no big pre-race dinners or brunches or other social engagements.  No flying the day before, even if it's a short flight.   I can run decently if I break this rule - it's not like Hartford was a bad race.  But that last 24 hours of mental and physical rest gives me a physical and mental bounce - each mile takes a few less seconds.  And those seconds add up.


Dailies
Monday: In the morning, 5 "miles" pool-running; in the evening, 2 "miles" of pool-running, DIY yoga, and foam rolling.

Tuesday: In the morning, 7 miles, including 3x800 in 2:55, 2:51, 2:47.  Also a sports massage.

Wednesday: In the morning, 6 miles very easy (8:52) plus drills and two strides.  1 "mile" pool-running, DIY yoga, and foam rolling at night.

Thursday: In the morning,  3 miles, with the last 1200 yards uptempo at 7:07 pace.  Followed with very minimal upper body weights and core, DIY yoga, and foam-rolling.

Friday: Nothing except travel and hitting race expo.

Saturday: Hartford Marathon in 3:10:43 (7:17 pace, split as 1:37/1:33).  Fly back to Baltimore and drive to DC post-race.

Sunday:  5 "miles" gentle pool-running with the belt in the afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cris. I have a PRP quesetion. Discovered I have a tear to my psoas where it attaches to the tendon. Lower groin area. I'm going to FastTrack (DC Area) for treatment. Had one prolo injection. Dr is recommending PRP. I see you had PRP a few times a number of years back...once even in the groin area. Now that it's been a few years, would you still recommend PRP? And, what should I expect for recovery? Do you have a comparison to much cheaper prolo injections? Thanks. Scott (the bald guy from the Loudoun Mile race earlier this year).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I would absolutely recommend PRP and prolotherapy. I'm actually about to get my SI joints done again with prolo (the ligaments get loose and need to be tightened up every two years or so).

    PRP and prolo are similar, but PRP is more expensive, has a longer recovery time, and is more effective. Basically we used PRP on the bad stuff, and then used prolo as a "booster."

    I do think the effectiveness of the PRP depends on the formulation, and who is doing the injecting. There is no standard formulation for PRP - everybody's got their own mix. And their own practices for how to inject it.

    I REALLY recommend the guy who did mine. I wouldn't be running without him. https://treatingpain.com/medical-staff/robert-h-wagner-md

    I would go consult with him before getting PRP/Prolo done anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx Cris! Glad to hear it is working for you. Very good information. The Dr I'm going to at FastTrack is recommending a PRP and PPP injections. One in the tendon and one in the muscle - forget which is for which....thx again.

    ReplyDelete