Sunday, June 3, 2018

Training log - Week ending 6/3/18

This week was 46 miles of running, 17 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

I'm two weeks out now, which means I'm in DIY yoga mode.  To explain, I love yoga class but there's one big downside to it: the tendency of others to show up sick to class.  (drives me nuts - it's so selfish.)  So, once I'm within 2 weeks of a goal race, I stop going to class and instead do a 10 minute routine that keeps me reasonably mobile.  Since the routine is brief and focused more on mobility and balance than strength, I can do it nearly every day.  Which is why there will be a lot of DIY yoga in my training log over the next two weeks.

[As for the routine itself?  I start with a sequence of low lunges then warrior 1 then high lunge then warrior 2 into side angle into triangle.  From there, I do some balance poses - eagle, warrior 3, dancer, tree.  Then I finish with warrior 2 into triangle into half moon into standing split on each side.]

Two weeks out means that I'm also tapering/peaking, with my focus shifting from volume and marathon pace to faster stuff.  For my Boston cycle, I think I made the mistake of forcing the speed too much during taper, so this round I'm taking a more relaxed approach.  I start my speed workouts very very controlled, and then run only as fast as I can without straining as the workout progresses.  No forcing stuff.

Even with (or perhaps because of) this restraint, I was pretty happy with the speed I showed this week in the second half of Tuesday's workout.  I usually lose a lot of speed when marathon training, and I've been off-and-on marathon training since January.  So to not be too far from my top speed is encouraging.  

Related to that, I was extremely happy with how Saturday's 5K went.  Given the awful weather, the 21 miler on my legs, and not wearing my flats, I would have been happy with a much slower time.  So that was a nice surprise.

Of course, the alternative take is that my speed-retention (for lack of a better word) is a bad sign for my marathon fitness.  But, I find it really hard to believe that I'm somehow in better shape for shorter distances than a marathon right now.  So I'm not going to worry about that too much.

Dailies


Monday: Foam rolling, DIY yoga, and 9 "miles" of pool-running.

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a 3 mile warm-up (8:37), then a track workout of 400/800/1200/1200/800/400 in 94, 3:03, 4:33, 4:26, 2:52, 80.   3.5 mile cool-down (9:13)  Also injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy (9:14) plus drills/strides and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday
 Upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 8 "miles" of pool-running; foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 4 miles very easy (9:32) and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling in the evening.

Saturday: 3 mile warm-up (most at 8:45 pace, but with a quarter mile hard), then a 5K race in 19:17 (6:23/6:14/6:07/0:33) (mile 3 marker was late).  3 mile cooldown (9:43).  Foam rolled after 500 yards of recovery swimming.

Sunday:  14 miles mildly progressive, averaging 8:45 for the first 5 miles, 7:45 for next 5, 7:04 for last 4.
  Followed with injury prevention work, DIY yoga, foam rolling, and 500 yards recovery swimming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment