Monday, October 28, 2019

Training log - Week ending 10/27/2019

This week was 50 miles of running, 27 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.  

I spent the first two days in the pool to ease back into things after the Columbus Half Marathon.  I didn't have anything that felt like a potential injury, but my form had fallen apart during the last miles of the half-marathon.  Spending an extra day in the pool cost me very little to nothing in terms of fitness, but went a long way towards reducing injury risk.

I returned to the track on Thursday, doing a short workout of 3200m at 10 mile race effort, and then a 1600m a little faster.  Yes, the 3200m at 10 mile race effort ended up being a slower pace than my half-marathon of a few days ago, but that's what tired legs do to you.  

The nice thing was that my breathing was notably improved from last weekend - I got my monthly Xolair shot on Monday (monthly medication that reduces my body's generation of histamines) and things changed for the better after that.  And yes, I'm kicking myself for not getting that shot before the race, as it might have made a difference (of couse, no way to know for sure).

Saturday's long run felt pretty good.  My legs were still tired, but I felt strong and solid.  Running at marathon effort, I didn't quite hit my goal pace, but I think that might be a matter of Garmin error - I was right around 6:40 for the sections of the route where my Garmin gets good signal, but hit a 6:46 and a 6:49 in the miles where my Garmin gets flaky.

Not that it really matters anyway.  The fitness that I have is the fitness that I have, at this point.  And the good news is that my GI tract held up fine (I ate my normal pre-marathon breakfast before this run, to test things and reassure myself that I could eat that much before a run without issue).

Saturday was really the last workout that mattered for this cycle.  Now it's time to just cruise on in.


Dailies

Monday: 7 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 9 "miles" pool-running, followed by upper body weights/core.  Sports massage in afternoon.

Wednesday: 6 miles very easy (9:03), yoga, and then 6 miles very easy (8:30) plus drills and strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 3200m, 1600m in 12:59 (6:34/6:25) and 6:10, with 4:38 recovery in between.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  11 "miles" pool-running, followed by upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Saturday: 16 miles, split as first 5 averaging 9:00, next 5 averaging 7:34, final 6 averaging 6:43.  Also leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.


Sunday:  10 miles very easy (8:58) plus some cheering at Marine Corps Marathon.
  Foam rolling at night.

1 comment: