Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Training log - Week ending 4/26/2020

This week was 62 miles of running and 9 miles walking -- training log is here.

Unlike last week, I was able to get in some consistent training this week.  Continually cool and rainy weather meant that I could get some socially distanced outside runs in.  And I had the treadmill for the nice days.

I'm really happy I have the option of running inside or out - it's nice to be able to do fast running without worrying about social distancing.  I have no objection with pausing my watch and stepping off to the side as need be during an easy run or even marathon pace work; but it would be frustrating to have to do that in the middle of faster running.

Additionally, things have been getting tense in my area regarding runners outside, including whether mask wearing is required.  In my area, social distancing is recommended, with masks being recommended for those situations where social distancing cannot be maintained.  Despite the clarity of those recommendations, there are those in my area who insist either outdoor exercise is banned altogether, or only allowed with masks on.

I have numerous frustrations with this.  First of all, it is very important to follow the recommendations of our local government and the CDC.  But I don't like this trend I see  of some deciding on their own what the recommendations/requirements should be, and then attempting to enforce their own personal variant, be it by yelling at runners, attempting to shame on Nextdoor, swerving at them with your car (hasn't happened to me, but has to friends), or lunging towards them while coughing (has happened to me - fortunately they didn't get within 6 feet, since I'm a member of the 10+ feet crew).  It's scary, unjustified vigilantism.  We don't get to each make up our own version of the rules.

The rules and recommendations are what they are - if you think they should be stricter, you're certainly within your rights to express that (though I would hope that would be supported with credentials beyond being another person on the internet).  But it's not right to ciriticize or attack other people who are complying with the recommendations, just because they're not doing what YOU think they should be doing, which is different from the recommendations of health experts and local government.

Second, I see many claiming that runners should wear masks at all times, because it's safer (not at all certain or even likely) and because it's no burden to the runner.

As someone with asthma who has tried many times to run while covering my mouth with _something_, I disagree.  It's hard to run with something covering your face - anything thick enough to interfere with droplets is also thick enough to trap some of the CO2 that you exhale.  Pre-pandemic I tried many times to run with a buff or pollen mask of some sort, to reduce pollen or warm very dry air (two of my asthma triggers).  I was never able to do it.  Not even at easy pace.  (if you can, more power to you).

And the suggestion of wearing something around your neck and then pulling it up when passing another is dangerous for the wearer - the last thing you want to do is to be bringing your hands to your face without having washed your hands immediately prior.  I cringe a little when I see someone pull fabric up to their face when they see me.  They just increased risk to themselves, while doing nothing to reduce the risk to me.

Additionally, there's a public ethos that wearing a mask, any mask, makes social distancing unnecessary.  Like "we can all act like normal as long as we wear masks."  Despite the very clear statements from local governments and health authorities that distancing is key, with masks secondary.  It's anecdotal, but the people I see wearing masks in public seem to be much less mindful of personal space than those without (which is a major reversal from a few weeks back before masks were recommended, when it was those with masks who also were being most careful about distancing).

I'm not at all opposed to masks in general - I've been wearing flu masks in airplanes (and getting stares) for years.  I was wearing a mask to the grocery store and pharmacy long before the CDC started encouraging them (I wash my hands at home, put it on, drive to the store and do my shopping, then drive home, wash hands again, remove mask, wash hands a final time).  But they accomplish far less than distancing, handwashing, and avoiding one's face.  And in the context of running, they can be risky to the runner, in terms of interfering with breathing, encouraging one to touch one's face repeatedly, and creating a false sense of safety.

Far better for both the runner and others to skip the mask, and just take special care to run at times and locations where one can maintain social distancing easily.  And to step off the trail and pause whenever you see a traffic jam ahead.



Dailies

Monday:  5 mile walk and upperbody weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12.5 miles outside, including 2x2 miles at tempo effort in 12:49 (6:29/6:20) and 12:48 (6:27/6:21) with 4:30 recovery between, plus two short hill repeats (60-70 seconds) with full recovery.  Followed with injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 5 miles easy on the treadmill (9:06), live streaming yoga, 7.5 miles easy on the treadmill (8:53).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: Upper body weights/core and 3 mile walk.  Live streaming yoga and foam rolling at night.

Friday:  11 miles on the treadmill, including an imitation Iwo Jima workout - 8 repeats of the following:

-2:00 at a strong effort on a 3.0 incline (the Iwo Jima hill averages a 3% incline)
-1:30 easy effort on a 0.5 incline
-0:30 fast on a 0.5 incline
-1:00 easy effort on a 0.5 incline.

Followed with leg strengthworkFoam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10.5 miles very easy (9:02), drills and two hill strides, and live streaming yoga. Later did upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 15.5 miles, including 14 miles progression (split as first 4 averaging 9:12, next 4 averaging 7:42, next 6 averaging 7:02) and a 1.5 mile cooldown.  Followed with streaming yoga. Foam rolling at night.


4 comments:

  1. Last week I saw one of my friends get slapped in the park! Apparently he didn't give a walker 6 feet ... but then, she didn't move out of his way, either. So she slapped him. People are strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I give this post 5 stars and two thumbs up! Another thing that people don't seem to understand is that "social distance shaming" is not an effective way of getting someone to enforce the rules (or their perceived version of the rules). Just like nobody is going to change their political views based on a Facebook disagreement, nobody is going to stop their behavior because you shamed them. Anyway, solid week of work for you! What is your thought on virtual racing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: virtual racing, I'm not really a fan (nor do I like time trials). It's not really racing, and I prefer to save my race efforts for the real deal, since I don't think I have an unlimited # of times I can dig that deep.

      Now....if they got more serious about virtual racing, and had strict criteria for what counted (as opposed to "run this distance and show us your Strava report) then I might get interested. But right now, it's just a gimmick.

      That being said, I think everyone needs to do what makes them feel best during these times, and if other people get fulfillment from virtual races or time trials, good for them. Just not for me.

      Delete