Sunday, July 26, 2020

Training log - Week ending 7/26/2020

This week was 46 miles of running, 15 "miles" of pool-running, and 1800 yards of swimming -- training log is here


Just more rehab work.  The first part of the week was gently building the mileage; the latter part was starting to gently phase in some faster running.   I started with "gentle" hill repeats on Friday, on a decently steep hill near my house (thunderstorms were forecast, so I wanted to stay close to home).  I didn't really pick up the pace much, I just tried to use the hill to force me into pushing off with my glutes and using both legs evenly (when you are running up a steep hill, it becomes very obvious if you are running unevenly).  So...2 minutes trying to run perfectly, and then 3 minutes recovery.


Sunday, I went with a modified progression.  I've found that when coming back from injury I'm not always the best at judging effort levels, so I went with heart rate ranges instead - doing 3 miles with a heart rate in the 140s, 3 miles with a heart rate in the 150s, and 3 miles with a heart rate in the 160s.  This run was not continuous - any time it felt like my gait was getting uneven I stopped, stepped off the road, and did a few drills to try to reinforce correct patterns.  Right now, I'm less worried about aerobic fitness and more worried about strengthening the hamstring and reinforcing correct gait patterns.


It's really frustrating to be where I am right now, when my fitness was in a good place just a few weeks ago.  On the other hand, I'm making solid progress, so I just need to stay the course.  And hopefully come out of this better than I was before.



Dailies 


Monday: 5.5 "miles" of pool-running and live streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 8 miles easy (9:15), upper body weights/core, and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.


Wednesday: 5.5 miles easy (9:31), streaming yoga, and 5.5 miles easy (9:07) plus drills and four gentle hill strides.  Foam rolling at night.


Thursday:  upper body weights/core, 5.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Streaming yoga and foam rolling at night.


Friday: 8 miles, including six very gentle hill repeats (around 8:30 pace) - 2 minutes up a 5% incline with 3 minute jogging recovery, followed by 1800 yards swimming and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.


Saturday: 8 miles aerobic (8:57), streaming yoga, and 4 "miles" pool-running; foam rolling in afternoon.


Sunday: 11 miles aerobic (was too hot to call easy).  Did a gentle progression over the run, with the first three miles averaging 9:18 pace, the next 3 averaging 8:34 pace, and the next 3 averaging 7:34 pace, and then a 2 mile jog.  Took several stops during the run to reset my gait any time it felt like it was getting awkward.  Followed with streaming yoga and leg strengthwork.


No comments:

Post a Comment