Sunday, August 2, 2020

Training log - Week ending 8/2/2020

This week was 53 miles of running, 15 "miles" of pool-running, and 1500 yards of swimming -- training log is here


More rehab this week, with two workouts that were primarily focused on building strength in my left leg and running balanced. 

On Tuesday, I returned to Iwo Jima for a variant of the standard workout. The normal workout is roughly 2 minutes hard uphill, 90 second recovery, 30 second stride (on a flat to downhill route), and 60 second recovery. 

I modified both fast parts by a) slowing down the uphill, so that I was covering the same distance but taking closer to 2:20 to get to the top; and b) slowing down and shortening the stride part, so that I was only going around 6:30 pace (I'm normally around 5:15-5:30 pace), and also stopping the stride part early BEFORE I turned downhill to avoid extra stress on the hamstring. It felt productive - the hill forced me to use both legs evenly. Well...until my left leg got tired and I couldn't any more. At which point I called it a day. 

Saturday I headed over to flat Hains Point to do some faster running, again with the goal of only going as fast as I could while using both legs equally. That ended up being half-mile repeats at what was my goal marathon pace earlier this year (hahahaha). 6:4x pace did NOT feel like marathon pace either. Not surprising - it's hot, I'm out of shape, and I need to rebuild strength. Gotta train where you are, not where you wish you were or where you used to be. 

Four repeats felt like enough, so I took an easy jog after to reset, and then played with a short fartlek of 6x30 seconds on/30 seconds off. I successfully used both legs equally for both the half mile repeats and the fartlek, so I called this one a success also. 

Next week will be more of the same.  A nice consequence of the pandemic is that I have plenty of time to rehab and rebuild this the right way, instead of rushing through.


Dailies 


Monday: 5.5 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 10 miles, including 6 modified Iwo Jima hill repeats (normally around 2 minutes hard uphill, 90 second recovery, 30 second stride, and 60 second recovery - slowed down both the uphill and the stride).  Foam rolling at night.


Wednesday: 4.5 miles easy (9:46), streaming yoga, and 7.5 miles easy (9:06) plus drills and four gentle hill strides.  Foam rolling at night.


Thursday:  Upper body weights/core, 5.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Streaming yoga and foam rolling at night.


Friday: 10 miles easy (9:12) followed by streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.


Saturday: 12 miles, including a workout of 4x0.5 mile at "as hard as I can run using both legs equally" pace (splits were 3:21, 3:26, 3:20, and 3:17, with 2:30-2:40 recovery), followed by full recovery, and then 6x30 seconds hard, 30 seconds easy.  Followed with 1500 yards swimming, leg injury prevention work, and foam rolling.


Sunday: 8.5 miles easy (9:37), followed by drills, streaming yoga, and 4 "miles" of pool-running. Foam rolling in afternoon.


1 comment: