Sunday, November 1, 2020

Training log - Week ending 11/1/2020

This week was 64 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming and 21 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here

This was the week that my ankle improved dramatically.  It's not perfect, yet.  But it is improving - it felt absolutely miraculous to be able to pull off eagle pose in yoga on my right root on Wednesday.


I did feel (and apparently looked) tired during Tuesday's workout - most likely from my Sunday long run.  I also had some problems falling asleep on Tuesday night, which can be an early sign of overreaching for me.  So I backed off on my Wednesday morning run, sticking to 9 miles instead of 12.  That seemed to help, as I felt much better the rest of the week.  


My paces for my runs on both Friday and Sunday have a bit of a question mark - my latest watch tends to undermeasure distance substantially on my runs, so I've calibrated a footpod and now use that for distance.  It seems to be quite accurate during track workouts (if I run 800m in lane 1, it reads .49-.50 miles).  


However, the watch has been losing the connection with the footpod from time to time, and relapsing to the GPS.  When it does that, I get the GPS pace/distance readings, rather than the footpod ones.  And there tends to be 10 seconds per mile difference between the two, with the footpod faster than the GPS.  My workout on Friday was run completely by GPS, while Sunday's run was based on the footpod for the first 12 miles, and then GPS for the last 6 (which were the ones I cared about the most).


On Sunday, I was able to recover data directly from the footpod post run, giving me two sets of data for the last third of the run.  Of course, no way to be sure either is correct, but my hunch is that the footpod is closer to the truth.   For Friday, I'll just have to go with the GPS data, and know that I probably ran a little faster than that.  I guess in the end it doesn't matter - effort is what counts.


One more week of training and then I go back for my second round of PRP.




Dailies 


Monday: 5 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 2x1200, 2x800, 2x200.  Splits were 3:13, 3:11 4:53, 4:49, 3:12, 3:06, 43, and 42.  2:4x-2:5x recovery after the 800s and 1200s; full recovery for the 200s.  Followed with leg strengthwork, yoga and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling at night.

;

Wednesday: 9 miles very easy (9:06) with drills and 4 hill strides, followed with streaming yoga. 3 "miles" pool-running mid-day.  Foam rolling at night.


Thursday:  5 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core in the morning; foam rolling at night.


Friday: 12 miles, including a tempo workout of 2x~2 miles at tempo effort with 3 minutes recovery  in 6:47/6:55 (uphill) and 6:45/6:34 (downhill).  Took full recovery and then did 2x.25 mile hard in 91 and 90 seconds with 60 seconds recovery.  (distances/paces/splits approximate because footpod not working - GPS is generally short.)  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.


Saturday: 12 miles very easy (9:02), plus 6 steep hill sprints and drills and streaming yoga.  3 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling in afternoon.


Sunday:  18.5 miles, structured as the first 6 miles averaging 8:57 pace, the next 6 averaging 7:41, the next 6 averaging either 7:04 (GPS) or 6:53 (footpod) pace, and then a half-mile cooldown.  Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.  Doubled back with 5 "miles" pool-running and foam rolling in afternoon.




1 comment:

  1. Weird that your GPS is so far off! Which watch are you using?

    ReplyDelete