Sunday, January 31, 2021

Training log - Week ending 1/31/2021

This week was 28 miles of running, 500 yards of swimming and 21 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here

Myrtle Beach Marathon was postponed this week.  To May 1, which effectively means it's cancelled, since I'm not racing a marathon in South Carolina in May.  There are other options still available for the same weekend, but I've decided to pause my training and take a break instead. 


Over the last 2 weeks, my training has not gone the way I would like.  I have been tired (which is fine) and I haven't been progressing.  Plus I was starting to feel a bit mentally sour this week.  I wasn't over-trained yet, but my sense was that I was on the edge.  Wednesday's workout, in particular, felt like a slog.


If you're in a hole, it's time to stop digging.  Especially when the whole point for digging the hole is gone.  So, it made the most sense to shut stuff down for a few days, reverting to pool-running and junk food.  When I looked at my schedule, I haven't had a pool-running/junk food break in over a year (since I haven't had a goal race in over a year).  So I was very much overdue.


Over the next two or so weeks I'll lower my mileage some and revert back to hills and tempos.  I'm entered in the Athens (Ohio) Marathon in mid-April.  If that is still on in a few weeks, I'll try another short marathon cycle. 


Dailies 


Monday: 5 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga. Foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 10 miles easy on the treadmill (9:00), followed by upper body weights/core.   Foam rolling at night.

;

Wednesday: 12 miles outside, including a track workout of 3x2 miles in 13:17 (6:35/6:42), 13:16 (6:42/6:34), and 13:12 (6:40/6:32) with 5 minutes jog between each.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.


Thursday:  5 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga in the morning; foam rolling at night.


Friday: 5 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga in the morning; foam rolling at night.


Saturday: 6 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core in the morning; foam rolling at night.


Sunday:  6 miles very easy on the treadmill (9:09) and streaming yoga in the morning.  Foam rolling in afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment