Sunday, January 3, 2021

Training log - Week ending 1/3/2021

This week was 60 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming and 10 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here


2021 was not off to a good start for me.  I may (or may not) have killed a squirrel while driving to my race on Friday.  I then had a ridiculously bad race, including almost face planting during the race when I lost my balance on a steep downhill.  And my right ankle (the one that got all the PRP) has felt sore and less stable since Friday's race.  On a completely different note, my primary credit card (the one that I have memorized and use for everything) also got compromised and has to be reissued, so that was nice.  


On the other hand, I still have all of my loved ones, so life ain't that bad - these are just small frustrations.  The friction of life I guess.


I've also been wondering how to manage a bump on my left ankle that has been growing over the last few months.  For years I've had lumps on the front of each ankle where the ankle meets the top of the foot.  Right where the top of one's shoe presses into the ankle.  However, the left one has been growing over the past few months, and is now pretty substantial.  Big enough to start interfering with the flexion of my ankle.


I checked in with my podiatrist on Monday to see if we could drain it.  However, an ultrasound indicated that it had no fluid, so that wouldn't work.  Instead, he injected a corticosteroid (dexamethasone) into it, carefully avoiding the tendon, to see if that would shrink it.  So far the shot hasn't done much.


The next option is removal, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible.  Were this bump anywhere else, the recovery would be very quick - it's a very simple procedure done with local anaesthetic.  But...due to the location, getting it removed means 3 weeks of no running, since I can't wear shoes that would place pressure on the area after the surgery. 


So I'm playing with relacing my shoes to see if I can somehow reduce the pressure on it.  And icing it in hopes of bringing it down that way.



Dailies 


Monday: 5 "miles" pool-running in the morning and upper body weights/core; foam rolling at night.


Tuesday: 12.5 miles, including a short track workout of 4x400 with 100m float (in 31-33 seconds) and then 8x200m with full recovery before each.  Splits were 96, 92, 93, 93, and then 44, 42, 42, 42, 42, 41, 41, 41, 41.  Followed with streaming yoga and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling at night.

;

Wednesday: 5.5 miles very easy (9:03), drills and two hill strides, streaming yoga, 3 miles very easy on treadmill (9:01).  Foam rolling at night.


Thursday:  5 "miles" of pool-running and light upper body weights/core in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.


Friday: 4 mile warm-up and then a 5K race in 20:11.  Later did 5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:00).   Foam rolling at night.


Saturday: 7 miles very easy (9:15), upper body weights/core, and then 4 miles very easy (9:05) plus drills and two hill strides. Foam rolling at night


Sunday:  16 miles, split as 14 progressive (5 miles averaging 9:10, 4 miles averaging 7:47, and then 5 miles averaging 7:05) followed by a 2 mile jog home.  Followed with leg strengthwork, and 500 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.




1 comment:

  1. Is it a Ganglion Cyst, aka "Bible Bump"? I had one of those years ago and the problem was solved by using YANX laces. I had been tying my laces too tightly. I hope yours goes away.

    ReplyDelete