Monday, April 26, 2021

Training log - week ending 4/25/2021

This week was 78 miles of running, 1500 yards of swimming and 7 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

The week didn't get off to the greatest start on Tuesday when I pulled out of the track workout after doing two sets of a planned 3-4x(1200, 400).  I started the third set, but then started feeling a bit stiff and dizzy - like I was drained and straining too hard.  I've pushed through that feeling before, and have ended up pulling something(usually a hamstring), so I just pulled the plug this time.  This workout was not that important to marathon training, while staying uninjured is essential.

On a hunch, I got some bloodwork done.  When I got the results back, my folate levels had dropped considerably.  For folate, according to the lab I use, under 5.4 ng/ml is "borderline" and under 3 is deficient.  When I was struggling last year, I was at 1.7 which apparently is ridiculously scary low.  Prescription supplements got me back to 15 and change, which is normal for me, based on my test records from several years ago.

At that point, my doctor and I decided to reduce the folic acid supplements to see if I could keep a good level on a lower dose while also working to increase my dietary intake of folate-rich foods like orange juice and avocados.  (heavy folic acid supplementation may be associated with increased cancer risk, though the connection hasn't been established).  But...it's looking like I can't keep my folic acid up on this regiment, as this week's results showed me at 5.7 - still technically OK, but a big drop.  So it was back on the full dose (1mg a day).

I also swapped daily asthma meds from Breo back to Advair.  Breo seems to work better for me for cold dry air, but with the uptick in pollen in this area, I've been having to use my rescue inhaler regularly before workouts.  Within a day or two, I was feeling much better, with no need for the rescue, so I think that was the right change.  (My asthma doctor has prescribed both, and told me I could use either as a daily med, just not both on the same day.)

Who knows if it was the changes in folic acid and asthma meds, or just luck, but by the weekend I was feeling better.  I had a good conservative tempo on Friday, and then a good long run on Sunday.  So things are looking up.  I'm also feeling much more rested after a night of sleep, which is another indication that something was a bit off, but is now better.

Monday: 9 miles (9:10) very easy with drills and 6 hill sprints, followed by upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 12 miles including a track workout of 2x(1200, 400) in 4:36, 89, 4:33, 87.; ~2:40 recovery after the 1200s and ~1:40 after the 400.   Was going to do a third set, but felt off so pulled up.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy (9:05) plus drills and 2 strides, followed by streaming yoga and then 4 miles very easy on treadmill (9:20).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 3.5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:33), 5 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 12 miles including a tempo workout of 4 miles in 26:49 (6:48/6:41/6:41/6:39). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 11 miles very easy (9:05), plus drills, 6 steep hill sprints, and streaming yoga. Foam rolling in the afternoon. 

Sunday: 16 miles progressive split as the first 5 miles averaging 9:01, the next 4 miles averaging 7:44, and the next 7 miles averaging 6:56, followed with a 1.5 mile cooldown.  Later did leg strength work, 500 yards recovery swimming and 2 "miles" pool-running. Foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment