Sunday, October 3, 2021

Training log - Week ending 10/3/2021

This week was 52 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming and 27 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

This week I decided to revise my fall plans, and drop down from the full marathon at Indy Monumental to the half marathon (assuming I'm able to - I sent a request in asking if I could switch).   I'll still do the Columbus Half Marathon, which was originally scheduled as my tune-up for Indy - now my planned schedule is Columbus half on October 17, Indy half three weeks later, and then a turkey trot before taking my season break.

It was a tough decision, but ultimately the right one, I think.  It's obvious to me that I'm not where I should be fitness wise 5-6 weeks out from a marathon.  At this point in a cycle, runs of 20+ miles should not feel challenging (though including marathon effort work at the end might be).  But that's not the case for me right now - I'm just not as strong as I would like to be.    It's the unfortunate but understandable consequence of starting this training cycle at a deficit due to iron deficiency.

At the same time, my fitness is definitely improving each week, and I think I'm in a good place to run some fast half-marathons, especially if I add a bit of speed to the strength I've built so far from the marathon work.  

Additionally, I haven't been able to race a turkey trot in several years since I've always run a late fall marathon - it will be great to finally be able to do that.  Another plus is that I won't have to take quite as long a break after the end of my season (which will now be after the turkey trot), since I won't have to factor in post-marathon recovery.  I can take a few days pool-running/junk food and a week or two of hills, and then start building for the spring.

Saturday's workout was originally planned to be 2x5 at marathon effort, but I swapped it down to 3x3 miles at marathon effort, plus 1 mile a bit faster.  Both are technically marathon workouts, but the second works much better for a half-marathon, especially with the faster mile at the end.  It went mostly well.  I ran the last 3 mile segment a bit too hard/fast, but that's not a big deal if I'm not using it as training for a marathon.



Dailies:

Monday: 8 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 7.5 miles very easy (9:36 pace), followed by upper body weights/core and 3.5 miles very easy (9:07) plus drills, two hill strides, two flat strides.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday:  12 miles, including a workout of 3x2 miles at half-marathon effort in 13:23 (6:39/6:44); 13:13 (6:36/6:37), and 13:20 (6:39/6:41).  4:5x jogged recovery between each.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 10 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga. Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 8 miles very easy on the treadmill (9:29), upper body weights/core, and then 4 miles very easy (9:10) plus drills and four strides.   Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 17 miles, including a workout of 3x3 miles at ~marathon effort with 1 mile float, followed by 1 mile split as 21:35 (7:13/7:13/7:09), 21:21 (7:11/7:10/7:00), 20:51 (6:56/6:57/6:58) and then 6:31.  1 mile floats in between ranged from 8:01 to 8:10.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  

Sunday: 9 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Streaming yoga in afternoon, followed by foam rolling.

1 comment:

  1. In Path of Exile, the most important thing is buying POE Currency.

    Attached link: https://www.poecurrency.com/

    ReplyDelete