Monday, October 18, 2021

Training log - Week ending October 17, 2021

This week was 54 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming and 16 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

The week ended better than it started.  Tuesday's workout was ridiculous and even comic.  It was before dawn, and I felt really wobbly.  Part of me wondered if this might be mental, so I decided to see how stuff would go if I just stayed relaxed and ran the whole workout, regardless of how slow it went.  So I did, and got the splits you see below.  Yes - I did my first 1200m at 7:30 pace, which is normally my "faster than easy/slower than marathon pace" and it felt HARD.  It was ridiculous.  Things got a bit better as I went, but it felt like my body just wouldn't go fast because I felt unstable on the track.  Essentially the track felt like a bosu ball - the oddest feeling.  I just couldn't tell where I was putting my feet.

After that, I decided I wasn't doing Columbus Half this weekend.  I contacted my primary care doctor, and scheduled an appointment for this coming Tuesday.  I also went and got blood drawn on Friday.  

I'm on several different dietary supplements - all prescribed by doctors (I'm a bit of a contradiction because I really don't like taking supplements, but I can't seem to get adequate vitamin D, folate, or iron from just food alone.)    I did not take any of my supplements on Friday, because I was getting blood drawn.  And...that afternoon the muscle twitches were gone, and the balance issues/vision was improved.

So on Saturday I decided to experiment, and took only a B-vitamin supplement (which doesn't have crazy levels of anything).  And...all the symptoms came back.  Only to be gone by Sunday morning.

I'm thinking this may be a step in figuring out what's going on, though obviously I don't have answers yet.  It will interesting to see what my primary care doc says on Tuesday.

Dailies:

Monday: 8 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 3x800, 400 in 5:38, 5:26, 3:24, 3:17, 3:15, and 93. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday:  8.5 miles (9:25) with 4x200m in 45, 46, 45, 44.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 8 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 10 miles, including a track workout of 3200 and 1600 in 13:29 (6:55/6:34) and 6:27.   Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (9:18), followed by drills and four strides, and then streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday:  14 miles progressive, split as first 4.5 averaging 9:15 pace, next 5 miles averaging 8:15 pace, next 4.5 miles averaging 7:01 pace, followed by a half mile jog.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment