Sunday, February 13, 2022

Training log - Week ending 2/13/2022

This week was 50 miles of running, 1500 yards of swimming and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Jumped into a race on Saturday as a rust-buster/experiment in staying on my feet while racing.  I finished on my feet, so that was win.

In other news, I purchased a MOBO board - it's a wobble board that a) has a hole where one's 4 little toes would go and b) forces your foot to move diagonally.  I discovered almost immediately that my left ankle (which I always thought of as my GOOD ankle) was very stiff and would NOT move in the directions encouraged by the MOBO board.  

With a lot of thought, I can get my left ankle to move that way, so the restriction is not physical but neurological.  So I've got my work cut out for me.

My L5 cortisone shot has undeniably worn off - on Friday I found it very difficult to run on sidewalks that had been easy a week before.  I see the physiatrist again this Thursday to discuss next steps.  My primary care also gave me a referral to two back surgeons - one is an orthopedist, and the other a neurosurgeon.  The idea is that I should see if either one of them sees something in my MRIs that looks like an easy and quick surgical fix.


Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 4x1200 and 2x400 in 5:10, 4:59, 4:54, 4:51 and then 91 and 91.  One lap jog after each rep in between 2:30 and 3:30.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: Streaming yoga and then 8 miles very easy (9:25), plus drills and strides.  Sports massage in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 4 miles very easy (9:45).  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 3.5 mile warm-up, 5K race in 21:14, and then 6 miles (9:18).  Followed with some leg rehab work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 14.5 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:42 pace, next 5 miles averaging 8:22 pace, next 4.5 miles averaging 7:28 pace.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment