Sunday, March 20, 2022

Training log - Week ending 3/20/2022

This week was 60 miles of running, 1500 yards of swimming and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Tuesday's workout was in the dark again (thanks, daylight savings time) and I really struggled with my balance until the sun came up for the last 800.  From then on, things were much better

Friday's workout (after sunrise) was better, though still a bit wobbly due to shoe choice.  I decided to test myself with the New Balance RC Elite 1, which in the past was a shoe I just could NOT run in - I managed to run in it on Friday, albeit with a lot of concentration and some wobbliness.

Today's long run felt like a big step forward.  I decided to challenge myself with the unholy trifecta of a) supershoe (the New Balance RC Elite 2 - slightly more stable than the RC Elite 1), b) downhill running, and c) windy conditions.  These are three things that make running hard for me right now.  And....I stayed on my feet and actually didn't ever feel like I was going to face plant.  It was amazing.  I don't care that much about the pace.  I care a ton about how I felt while running at that pace.

In other news, I finally saw the back surgeon on Thursday.  He looked at my MRIs and told me that I had the lumbar MRI of a 20 year old.  In his words "it would be criminal to operate"  (absolutely fine with me).

Like everyone else, this doctor thinks I need to get a second neurology opinion (when I told him which neurologist I saw, he noted that I had already seen the really good guy, so he wasn't sure where I should go for a second opinion).  He also thinks I should get checked out for Lyme disease, so I guess that's now on the list.

Next Sunday I'm going to jump into another 5K, so we'll see how that goes.

Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 6x800, 2x400, 2x200 in 3:27, 3:26, 3:23, 3:20, 3:18, 3:15, 93, 92, 45, and 45.  2:2x-2:5x recovery after the 800s, ~80 second recovery for the 400s and 200s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: 10.5 miles easy (9:37) plus drills and four hill strides in the morning; streaming yoga midday.   Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and upperbody weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 11.5 miles, including a 4 mile tempo on the roads in 28:08 (7:12/7:05/6:57/6:54), 20 minutes jogging, and then 2x"200m" (approximate) in 47 seconds each.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming. 

Saturday: 8 miles easy outside (9:31), followed by streaming yoga and then 3.5 miles very easy (9:27) plus drills and two hill strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 14 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:44, next 4 miles averaging 8:14, and the next 5 miles averaging 7:15 before a half mile cooldown.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment