Sunday, July 17, 2022

Training log - Week ending 7/17/2022

This week was 52 miles of running, 1500 yards of swimming and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Since I haven't raced in a while, I attempted a 5K parkrun on Saturday. I went out conservatively but still blew up (it was fairly warm and sticky, and I underestimated how conservative I needed to be). The good news was that my gait was not much of an issue in the race. I just ran slowly and paced poorly. Both of which are easier to fix than the dystonia. 

I'm now 12 weeks out from the Chicago Marathon - I'm not sure if I'm going to do it, but I lengthened my long run this weekend to preserve the option. Rather than do a progression, I kept the run mostly at very easy pace, but with a fartlek in the middle (the on sections were essentially strides). Since I raced the day before, I didn't want to do a progression run. Keeping it easy reduced the stress of the run slightly, and adding the 60 second pick-ups ensured that I didn't just shuffle the whole thing.

If I do decide to fully train for Chicago, I think I'll be substituting these types of long runs in for progression long runs.  I love long progression runs, and they are very easy for me.  Too easy, I think - I suspect I'm not getting an adequate stimulus from these runs anymore.   Time to swap things up a bit.

Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" of pool-running and yoga.   Foam rolling at night.  

Tuesday: 11 miles, including 1600, 5x800, 2x200 in 6:50, 3:17, 3:17, 3:16, 3:14, 3:14, 47, and 47.  5:38 recovery after the 1600, 3:0x-3:3x recovery after the 800s (too long, due to track congestion) and full recovery after the 200s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.
 
Wednesday: 8 miles (9:56), with drills/strides. Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening

Friday: 4 miles (9:44) plus drills. Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 3.5 mile warm-up, and 5K parkrun in 22:19.  Later 6 miles (9:40), leg injury prevention work, and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 16.5 miles, mostly easy, but with a section of 8x(1 minute on; 8 minutes easy) in the middle of the long run.  Followed with 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment