Sunday, November 13, 2022

Training log - Week ending 11/13/2022

This week was 56 miles of running, 12 "miles" on the Lever Runner, and 500 yards swimming -- training log is here.

I continued to test positive for Covid until Friday evening, so most of this week was on the treadmill (the CDC guidance allowed me to go outside if I wore a mask, but I can't pool-run or run with a mask). 

For my normal 90 minute pool-runs, I substituted an hour on the Lever Runner at -20 pounds.  The Lever Runner is essentially a budget version of an Alter-G treadmill.  You attach a frame to your treadmill, then strap yourself to the frame using a special pair of shorts and a bungee cord, and off you go.  You can tighten the bungee cord for more weight reduction or loosen it for less.

Interestingly, I found that the more of an assist I had from the Lever Runner, the worse my running coordination issues were.  I could have gone to -40 pounds or more, but -20 pounds was as light as I could go and keep my balance.  I find this interesting, especially since my coordination is better uphill and worse downhill.  Essentially, the more weight and force on my feet, the more balanced I feel.  Weird, huh?

Since pool-running is non-impact, while the Lever Runner is reduced impact, I shortened the duration from 90 minutes to 60 minutes to make sure I didn't add too much impact to my body. It felt like the right amount of work for a recovery day.

I also wasn't sure how to count the Lever Runner in my weekly workout total - I decided just to treat it like pool-running and go by time, which means that 2 hours of Lever Running = 12 "miles."

On Saturday and Sunday I was able to run outside, so I did so.  I was a bit tired for Sunday's run, but I'm not sure how much of that was Covid recovery and how much was lack of fitness.  In any event, I understand that lingering issues from Covid are generally displayed as an elevated heart rate, and my heart rate was right where I would expect it to be, so that was reassuring.


Dailies:

Monday: 60 minutes on Lever Runner and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 10 miles on the treadmill, including 8 "Iwo Jima hills" (2:00 at 7:30 pace on 2% incline, 90 second jog, 30 seconds at 6:36-6:40 pace, 60 second jog).   Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday:  Upper body weights/core and 10 miles easy on treadmill (9:47).  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: Streaming yoga and 60 minutes on Lever Runner.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 10.5 miles on treadmill, including a tempo workout of 5x5 minutes (7:24 pace) with 60 second jog, and then 6x0:30 seconds strides (6:19-6:40 pace) with 90 second jog.  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles easy outside (9:40), drills/strides and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 14.5 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 9:46, the next 5 miles averaging 8:35, and the next 4.5 miles averaging 7:44. Then a mile cooldown to make 15.5 miles total.  Followed with some leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

1 comment:

  1. What a relief that your HR is not elevated! I dealt with that for nearly six months. Such a solid week given that you were recovering from Covid. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete