Sunday, November 27, 2022

Training log - Week ending 11/27/2022

This week was 61 miles of running, 500 yards of swimming and 8 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

I raced a 5 miler on Thanksgiving - it didn't go well at all, but such is life.  It's good to be able to do things like race 5 milers and then visit my parents, and I'm trying to appreciate that as much as I can.

Thursday was far enough from Sunday that I was able to race and do a long run - my first 20 of my shortened cycle for Houston.  That went OK, but not great - the first two parts of the long run felt OK and even good; the final third felt a bit awkward.  It was downhill (a deliberate choice) and I'm still having more issues with downhill running than flat.

I also started a new medication for my neurologic issues - brand name Sinemet, generic name carbidopa/levodopa.  It's a bit inconvenient, in that I have to take it three times a day (every 5 hours after waking up), but if it works, it will be worth the hassle.

Sinemet can have some bad side effects (nausea and falling asleep suddenly are two of them), so I waited to start it until after Thanksgiving - a holiday that involves a lot of eating and a lot of driving.  Fortunately, the only side effects I'm experiencing so far are a lack of appetite and really vivid dreams.  I can live with both of those.

In terms of running performance, so far I feel like it helps me, but slightly less than the Artane did.  However, Sinemet needs to be ramped up slowly, so I'm not at the full dose yet.  We'll see what the next weeks bring.

Monday: 7 miles easy (9:42) and upper body weights/core.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 8 miles, including a short shakeout workout of 1600 in 7:14 and then 2x200 in 50 seconds each.  Followed with injury prevention work.   Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: 5 miles very easy (10:06).  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 10 miles, including a 5 mile race in 38:06.   Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: Weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running..  Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 10.5 miles easy (9:50), drills and four strides, and streaming yoga; foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 20 miles progressive, split as the first 7.5 miles averaging 9:44; the next 6.5 miles averaging 8:28, and the next 6 miles averaging 7:55 pace.  Half mile cooldown after.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment