Sunday, December 18, 2022

Training log - week ending 12/18/2022

This week was 65 miles of running, 500 yards of swimming and 21 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

I'm now 4 weeks out from the Houston marathon.  I had planned to do my last 20 mile long run next week (3 weeks out) but the forecast for next week is for very dry and cold air (single digit dew point) which is very tough on my asthma.  I usually run on the treadmill on those days, but I didn't want to do a 21 miler on the treadmill if I could avoid it.  I'm fine with the mental monotony, but not crazy about the physical wear and tear of 20+ miles of identical foot strikes.  So I bumped the long run up to this weekend.

The long run went OK.  I ran it on a route that was mostly flat but had a substantial hill (out and back on the Capital Crescent) in the middle miles.  And once again, I struggled with the downhill section of the run - actually running it slower than the uphill.  Once I got on the flat again, things improved, and I finished up the run decently.  One big positive was that 21 miles really didn't feel like much at all, so I think I'm marathon-ready.

Friday's tempo is notable because it was not intended to be that much of a progression.  However, at this time of the year, it's dark until around 7 am.  I started the tempo at 6:30 am, which meant that over half of it was before the sun rose.  And sure enough, I could not get my legs to move.  It was basically like being stuck in first gear.  But as visibility improved, I was able to shift into higher gears and actually get my heart into tempo range.  I had planned on a 4 mile tempo but ended up adding another mile because it felt like the first two miles didn't count.

So overall things are improving, but I'd sure like to be able to run in the dark and run downhill.  All things to discuss with the neurologist at my next appointment.

Monday: 9 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 8 miles very easy on the treadmill (9:48) and upper and lower body weights.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: Streaming yoga and 12 miles very easy (9:36) plus drills and 2 hill sprints.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 12 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.   Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 11 miles, including an 8K tempo on the track in 36:52 (1600m splits were 7:43/7:33/7:25/7:12/6:59).  Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 12.5 miles very easy (9:27), drills and four hill sprints, and streaming yoga; foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 21 miles progressive, split as the first 7 miles averaging 9:16 pace; the next 7 miles averaging 8:15, and the next 7 miles averaging 7:36 pace.  Half mile cooldown after.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment