Monday, December 26, 2022

Training log - Week ending 12/25/2022

This week was 60 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming and 21 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

I'm three weeks out from the Houston Marathon.  Normally when I marathon train I either a) do the last 20+ miler four weeks out and then race a half-marathon 3 weeks out or b) do the last 20+ miler three weeks out.  However, since three weeks out coincided with both Christmas and the polar vortex, I did my last 20+ mile last weekend (4 weeks out) and decided to just focus on form and leg speed this week.

Since I raced a marathon back in October and my last 20 miler felt so good, I really don't think I need much more marathon specific training.  At the same time, I know I have a lot of room for improvement in terms of leg turnover and gait, so I'm mostly focusing on those for the last few weeks.  

For that reason, I did an Iwo Jima hill workout on Friday - normally I do this workout a few times at the very beginning of a training cycle, and then progress to more standard track and road workouts.  But I thought I could really benefit from another session focusing on leg power and gait (especially fast downhill running) so I added this one in when the Friday track workout was cancelled.

[Incidentally, the Friday track workout was cancelled because the "polar vortex" was approaching.  Fortunately, the polar vortex did not arrive in DC until exactly 8:35 am.  I did my hill workout in a fairly reasonable 45 degrees with light rain and moderate wind.  As I cooled down, I could see a dark shelf cloud rolling in.  I finished my cooldown at 8:30 am and hopped in the car for what ended up being a sketchy 15 minute drive home in ice pellets and high winds.]

I spent the weekend on my treadmill rather than deal with single digit (Fahrenheit) temperatures outside.  I was pretty happy with both weekend runs - the treadmill has been a real challenge for my neurological issues in the past, but I handled it fairly well this weekend.   I was especially happy with Sunday's workout, which is the fastest I've been able to run on the treadmill in a while.  My heart rate was also very controlled for the whole workout, which was a positive sign for my fitness.

Monday: 9 "miles" pool-running.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 12 miles, including 2x800, 1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 3:38, 3:37, 3:25, 7:02, 3:23, 3:22, 48, and 48, with recoveries of 2:50 between the 800s and 5:30 after the 1600.  Full recovery for the 200s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday: Streaming yoga and 12 miles very easy (9:21), drills and four hill sprints.  Sports massage at night.

Thursday: 12 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core. Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 12 miles with 8 Iwo Jima hills (2:00 powerful up a 2% incline; 90-100 second jog; 40 second downhill stride; 60 seconds jog to bottom.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming  Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 12 miles very easy on treadmill (9:31) plus upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 12 miles on the treadmill, including a workout of 7x5 minutes at tempo effort (8.5-8.8 mph) with 1 minute jog plus 6x30 second strides (9.5-10 mph) with 90 second jog.  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment