Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Training log - Week ending 4/16/2023

This week was 55 miles of running, 500 yards of swimming, and 21 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

My paces got significantly faster this week, so that was nice. (Tuesday's track workout was one of the fastest that I've done in some time.) I suspect that this is at least in part because the weather is warming up, and the dystonia/neuro stuff seems much better when it's warmer.  However, this is also my fourth week on an additional neuro medication (rasagiline) and I suspect the med is helping a lot as well.

Since I haven't done much (if anything) in the way of strength/marathon workouts since the Houston Marathon in January, I skipped the Friday tempo in favor of a Saturday marathon effort workout.   Many people would have done a shorter version of the tempo on Friday and then the marathon effort workout on Sunday (before track intervals on Tuesday).  However, for myself I find that giving a bit more space between workouts is better, so thus I did a track workout on Tuesday, the marathon effort workout on Saturday, followed by easy days until next Tuesday.

Since I'm not racing longer than a half-marathon until October, I don't think I need many of these marathon effort workouts, but one or two over the season doesn't hurt when training for half-marathons. 

As for the workout itself, I was mostly happy with it.  As the weather gods would have it, my first really big workout in a few months fell on the first really summer-ish day of the year. I was a bit worried about how things would go, but they turned out fine - I was able to hit a nice rhythm for the four and three mile segments. By the time I hit the two mile segment, I was starting to get a bit dehydrated (I had drained my water bottle), and so I panicked a little and sped up to get the workout over with. The last few miles of the workout were too hard to be honest marathon effort, so that wasn't great. However, I don't think I dug a hole or anything, so I'll just mark it down as a mistake to avoid repeating.

Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening. 

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 2x1200, 2x800 in 3:15, 3:16, 5:01, 4:56, 3:13, 3:11 (recoveries of 2:2x-2:4x).   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: 11 miles very easy (9:21) plus drills and hill sprints; later some streaming yoga.   Massage in the evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 1.5 miles very easy (10:00), then a 30 minute break (timing my running team's Friday workout) before 9.5 miles very easy (9:27) plus drills and strides.  

Saturday: 17 miles, including a workout of 4, 3, 2, and 1 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile float in between.  Splits were 30:03 (7:35/7:28/7:31/7:29); 22:21 (7:26/7:28/7:27); 14:48 (7:30/7:18); and 7:13.  8:3x float between each.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: Streaming yoga and 90 minutes pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment