Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Training log - Week ending 5/21/2023

This week was 42 miles of running, 500 yards of swimming and 24 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Just two hard days this week - a track workout on Tuesday and then a marathon effort workout embedded in a half-marathon on Saturday.   (The how and why of that workout/half-marathon is here)

I ended up running the latter half of the Saturday workout too fast - somewhere between marathon and half-marathon effort. I guess that's the primary risk of doing a workout during a race. But...my goals were to run the half-marathon fast enough to snag a NYC Marathon guaranteed entry while not trashing myself the way I would if I raced a half-marathon, and I accomplished both, so we'll call it good. 

 I usually do that 2x5 as part of a 16-17 mile run. But I only had time to run 2 miles before going through all the steps to get into my corral, and there was no good place to run after (plus I needed to get back to my hotel to check out), so I decided 15 was sufficient.  I was pretty tired anyways.  

Saturday's workout by itself didn't take that much out of me, but when you combine it with a) 4 hours of sleep on Thursday night (due to doing fun stuff) plus b) hiking around Arlington, DC, Manhattan, and Brooklyn with a heavy backpack on Friday plus c) about 6 hours of combined sleep on Friday night (due to a lousy hotel)...I was pretty tired on Saturday night.  I intentionally cut back my mileage on Friday to balance some of the non-running "load," but you can only balance things out so much.

Monday: 90 minutes pool-running. Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 1200, 2x800, 2x400 in 6:43, 5:00, 3:17, 3:14, 93, 94.  5:00 recovery after the 1600 and 2:3x recovery for the 1200 and first 800; equal time recovery after the second 800 and the 400s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night. 

Wednesday: 9 miles very easy (9:48) with drills/hill sprints and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 3 miles very easy (10:05), 6 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 4 miles very easy (9:43).  Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 15 miles, including 2x5 at marathon effort with 1 mile float, embedded in the Brooklyn Half-Marathon.  The intervals averaged 7:37 and 7:17, with a 1 mile float in 8:00 between the two. Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment