Sunday, February 11, 2024

Training Log - Week ending 2/11/2024

This week was 57 miles of running and 9 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

An ugly workout on Tuesday (cold, dark, legs stiff) left me with very low expectations for Saturday's rustbuster 5K, which meant I was able to exceed those low expectations.  I also raced well (in that I paced my race well and competed well) which made me happy, independent of the time.

This week had some really good positives after a rough start:
  • I started running on the trails of Roosevelt Island again (I took a break due to the hip issue and then due to ice and snow).  It was challenging, really challenging.  But I could also tell it was exactly what I needed.  My static balance is good; it's my dynamic balance (balance while moving) that is hard.  Running on a rocky uneven trail with occasional steps up or down or roots or narrow bridges really trains that dynamic balance.
  • After giving up on the Vaporfly 3 nearly a year ago, I decided to give it another try and see if things had changed.  And wow - they felt very different.  All that balance and PT work has really helped.
  • Sunday's run felt really good - the 5K (which forced me to challenge my gait with uncomfotably fast running for 20+ minutes) really seems to have helped my gait.  Not a total surprise - that's happened before.  That's one of many reasons why I like to race even if the performance is not going to be fast one.  Pushing myself that way really helps stuff.

Monday:  9 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 11 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 4x800, 2x400 in 7:22, 3:33, 3:31, 3:29, 3:29, 1:40, and 1:41 (recoveries of 5:08 after the 1600, 2:5x-3:1x after the 1800s, and 86 between the 400s), followed by leg strengthwork.   Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: 5 miles very easy (9:35), upper body weights/core, and then 3 miles very easy home (9:23) plus 2 strides.  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 4 miles very easy on trails (10:04); streaming pilates and foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 5 miles very easy (9:48) plus numerous strides totalling to about a mile (swapping between the Adios Pro 3, the Deviate Nitro Elite 1, and the Vaporfly 3).  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 3.5 mile warm-up, and then a 5K in 21:59, followed by 2.5 mile cooldown.  Later did 3 miles very easy on trails (10:12) and upper body weights/core.

Sunday:  16 miles easy to moderate, split as the first 7 miles averaging 9:11 pace, the next 9 miles averaging 8:12 pace.  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment