Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Training log - Week ending 4/21/2024

This week was 30 miles of running and 33 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

This was marathon week, plus recovery.  The first few days were very gentle pool-running (basically just moving my legs in the water) and junk food; I'm now transitioning back into training.

In my training and recovery, I'm always balancing neurologic concerns against orthopedic/endocrinologic concerns.  This makes my training a bit different from both a) those who are just trying to manage neurologic stuff via exercise and b) runners without neurological issues.   

Proper training for runners without neurological problems is basically train hard and make sure to recover well, repeat.  There's an up and down to it.  In contrast, neurologic stuff demands steady hard work every day.  The more hard exercise you do, the more the brain thrives.  So....steady and hard.  No time off.

As I've noted before, when I'm training for a race, striking this balance requires that I really not taper too much (I'll feel more rested, but that does me no good if I'm too uncoordinated to use my legs well on race day). 

However, this also means that when I've just run a marathon, I need to depart from the neurological "ideal" of training hard with no breaks.  Monday's race was very hard on my body, and so my body and mind needed a chance to heal, even if doing so was not ideal for my Parkinsons. 

As of the end of this week, I'm feeling stiff and awkward, but still far better for the relative rest.

Monday: ~1 mile shakeout jog and then a marathon in 3:41:17.

Tuesday: Off for travel.
 
Wednesday: 90 minutes pool-running and foam rolling

Thursday: 90 minutes pool-running in the morning; streaming pilates and foam rolling in the evening.

Friday: 90 minutes pool-running.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 1 hour pool-running + upper body weights/core and foam rolling.

Sunday:  3 miles very easy (10:05) and streaming yoga + foam rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment