Sunday, August 23, 2026

Training log: Week ending 8/23/2026

This week was 64 miles of running, 12 "miles" of pool-running, and 1500 yards of swimming.

We had a big break in the humidity and heat on Wednesday morning. With remarkably good timing, I had a tempo workout on tap for that morning.

And then I woke up on Wednesday feeling a bit beaten up and sore from the combination of a 90 minute run in high humidity and a PT appointment. One of my big rules now for training is that if I think I might need to push a workout back a day or skip it in favor of recovery, I do so.

And so, very reluctantly, I went to the pool instead of the track Wednesday morning.  I hoped that the good weather might linger into Thursday morning, but no such luck - the air was best described as soupy (75 degrees Fahrenheit with a dew point of 74).  The good news was that tempos are really about holding the correct level of aerobic effort, so I could still get a good workout in, I just wouldn't get a solid read on my fitness.

So, I did the tempo, once again ignoring my watch completely until I finished so that I kept it at proper tempo effort instead of trying to beat a recent time.  When I checked my time after, I had run a bit faster than two weeks ago, which was unexpected but nice.

Doing the tempo on Thursday meant that I had to push my progressive long run to Sunday (I need at least 2 days between a workout and a long run if the long run is going to have any marathon effort work in it).  As it turned out, it rained on Saturday morning, so perhaps Sunday was the right call anyway.

Sunday was my first 20 miler of the cycle. Since Chicago is flat, I did the entire long run on Hains Point (flat), oscillating four times between the two gates (it's 2.5 miles between gates). Mentally, this wasn't too bad, though I'm sure it would be harder if I did all of my long runs there.

The long run went fairly well - I felt in control until the last mile and half, when I started to overheat (it was in the high 70s by then, with no cloud cover).  I finished the run without having to dig too deep, so I'll still call it good.

***

Monday: 6.5 miles very easy (9:59) in the morning, upperbody weights/core in afternoon, foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday: 9.5 miles very easy (9:52) and 300 yards swimming in the morning, followed by a PT appointment. Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 9 "miles" pool-running and 700 yards swimming. Yoga and foam rolling at night.

Thursday: 10 miles, including a 6400m tempo in 30:15 (7:42/7:36/7:34/7:23) plus 2x100m in 24 and 23, followed by leg strengthwork. Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 5 miles very easy on trails (11:47) and 2.5 miles very easy (10:18 - testing a new pair of shoes) plus upperbody weights/core. Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 10 miles very easy (9:55) with 2 strides and 500 yards of swimming. Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 20 miles progressive, split as the first 7 miles averaging 9:49 pace, the next 6 miles averaging 8:43 pace, and the next 7 miles averaging 7:58 pace.  Followed with a half-mile jog back to car and 3 "miles" pool-running. Foam rolling at night

No comments:

Post a Comment