This week was 41 miles of running, 21 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming.
Most of this week was focused on recovery from the DC Half, which took a lot out of me. By Saturday I was feeling mostly recovered, so I headed to Georgetown to run my last long run of this training cycle - 16 miles progressive.
I've done all of my long runs on flat terrain this cycle, but I shifted to the Capital Crescent trail for this last long run so that I could do the marathon effort miles on the downhill-to-flat section of the trail from Bethesda to Georgetown. This was for two reasons - a) the downhill would be a bit less strain on my aerobic system (good for taper) and b) running at marathon effort or faster downhill places more eccentric stress on the quads. Since I'm now two weeks out from the marathon, this was the right time to strengthen those quads to handle 26 miles.
Though not perfect, the weather was considerably better than last weekend, and the 16 miles went by very quickly. The marathon effort miles felt almost conversational, and like I could have kept going for a long time at that pace. All of which was a big confidence boost.
So now I just need to make it through the last two weeks of tapering.
I really hate tapering.
***
Monday: 8 "miles" pool-running. Yoga and foam rolling in evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment