Monday, June 3, 2013

Training log - Week ending June 2, 2013

This week was 72 miles of “real running” plus 9 “miles” pool running and 1000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.  

Project speed development continues, with some better results.  I ran 5:30 officially (5:29 by my watch) at the Loudoun Street mile on Monday.  It's a very slight PR, but I'll take it.  It's improvement over last week.   

Ironically, as part of Project Speed Development ("PSD" as we call it 'round these parts) I'm trying to slow other things down.  Most significantly, my easy runs.  I don't push them, but I think I could be running them even slower, resulting in better recovery. So I've reverted to an old trick - the HR monitor limit.  Basically, any time I'm running easy by myself, I set the monitor to buzz me when I hit 150 BPM for my HR (that's pretty low for me).  I'm also trying to back off some in workouts - using them as opportunities to practice good form, rather than hit a specific time.  It's not about the split, but rather about whether I kept my body relaxed and ran with reasonable knee lift. 

So, I'll take this path for a while, and see where it leaves me come fall (and serious racing).




Dailies

Monday:  
In the morning, 2.5 miles warm-up, and then a mile race in 5:29/5:30, followed by 4 miles cooldown. 20 minutes shakeout pool-running later for ("2 miles")

Tuesday: 
In the morning, 8 miles very easy (8:33 pace) plus upper body strength training and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday
:   In the morning, 9.5 miles very easy (8:48 pace), followed by yoga.   Later did another 5.5 miles very easy (8:31 pace).  Sports massage at night.

Thursday:  
In the morning, 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills and 20 minutes of easy pool-running for “2 miles," plus upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.  3.5 miles very easy (8:33) plus drills and foam rolling at night.

Friday: 
In the morning, 12.5 miles, including a tempo workout of 6400m in 26:26 (split as 6:45/6:36/6:40/6:25).  Followed with 25 minutes shakeout poolrunning.   Foam rolling and some injury prevention work at night.

Saturday:  
A double of 9.5 miles very easy (8:19 pace) and 3.5 miles (8:03 pace) plus drills.  Also injury prevention work and some upper body strength training.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 
12 mile progression run, averaging 7:47, split as 8:50 for first 3 miles, 7:53 for next 3 miles, 7:30 for next 3 miles, and 6:44 for last 3.  Followed with injury prevention work and 25 minutes shake out pool-running.  Also yoga and foam rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment