Monday, September 2, 2013

Training log - Week ending 9/1/13

This week was 4 miles of “real running” plus 69 “miles” pool running, and 5000 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here.  

Yup, in the pool.  Stupid right heel.   It's not totally clear what's wrong with it - the normal conclusion would be plantar fasciitis, but I know plantar fasciitis, and this doesn't feel quite like it (though the longer I stay off of my feet, the more I start getting that tell-tale stiffness in both feet). 

My podiatrist originally diagnosed infra-calcaneal bursitis, but then we decided to get an MRI since some of my symptoms pointed to it maybe being a stress reaction in the calcaneus (if so, caught very early).

It's fairly important to know exactly what it is, since the proper treatment differs for each condition, and treating it as one could set me back if it's something else.
  • plantar fasciitis - stretching, eccentric calf dips, Graston/dry needling, roll foot out with golf ball, maybe NSAIDS, plus gentle running.
  • bursitis - max out the NSAIDS, minimize the weight bearing activity, touch heel as little as possible.
  • stress reaction - bone stim, absolutely no NSAIDS, minimize weight bearing activity, touch heel as little as possible, maybe boot.
Until I know, I'm in flux.  But pool running and swimming is fine regardless of what I have, so I'm doing that.

I got the MRI done on Saturday morning, and of course I booted up the disc of images as soon as I got home.  (Don't judge, I can't be the only person that does this).  I have no idea what I'm seeing when I look at these images, except that it's a foot (probably mine - it's pretty cute) and that that there's no metal objects in my foot (I knew that anyway).  Hopefully I'll get the official report and findings on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Of course, like any idiot with an imagination
and an internet connection, I self-diagnose.  Looking at this,
I keep thinking that little lump ain't supposed to be there.
Dunno if I'm right, or what it is, though. 
PF?  Bursa?  Mark of Cain?


Dailies

Monday:  
In the morning, 4 miles easy (8:40 pace) followed by 30 minutes of pool-running for "3 miles" and then upper body, core, and injury prevention strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 
In the morning, "12 miles" in the pool, including a workout of 10x3:00 hard, 1:00 easy.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday
:   In the morning, "8 miles" easy in the pool, followed by 2500 yards of swimming and injury prevention work.  Sports massage at night.

Thursday:  
In the morning, "9 miles" easy in the pool, followed by upper body, core, and injury prevention strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  
In the morning, "16 miles" in the pool, including a workout of 10x3:00 hard, 1:00 easy, and then 12x45 seconds very hard, 45 seconds recovery.  I followed this with some injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  
In the morning, "5 miles" easy in the pool and then 1000 yards of swimming breathing drills.   Upper body and core strength work plus injury prevention work and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  
In the morning, I started with seated leg strengthwork at the gym, and then did "16 miles" in the pool, including a workout of 10x3:00 hard, 1:00 easy, and then 12x45 seconds very hard, 45 seconds recovery.   I followed this with 1500 yards of swimming.  No foam rolling - I ended up with some sort of mild food poisoning in the afternoon, and just laid on the couch.

2 comments:

  1. Leisure reading :-)

    http://ressonar.gigapix.com.br/k/artigos/8502249.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I love swimming and think of the pool as my second home, I hope you're out of there and back to your normal routine soon.

    ReplyDelete