Monday, September 23, 2013

Training log - Week ending 9/22/13

This week was 28.5 miles of “real running” plus 20 “miles” pool running, and 6500 yards of swimming -- training log is here.  

The rehab/return continues. I'm making progress, though not as fast as I would like (to be fair, I NEVER progress as fast as I like :)).  The foot continues to improve, and the sciatica is much improved (more yoga and real running/less pool-running is doing the trick).

Since I've cut back on the pool-running, I was missing an outlet for hard intervals (biking and rowing were tweaking my sciatica, and my foot didn't like the arc-trainer).  But never fear - I've found something new - the step mill.  

It's the holy grail of cross training - doesn't seem to aggravate anything, and kicks my rear.  I had originally thought I'd do 8-10 reps of 3 minutes hard on it, to match track workouts.  Nope - I learned my lesson quickly.  Going "hard" on this is basically like a hill workout.  4 intervals of 2 minutes each is very hard; 6 intervals of 2 minutes each has me doubled over at the end.

It's awesome (I think).  And feels like it should translate over very well to running.  Plus a workout is fairly short - just under 20 minutes, excluding my 5 minute warm-up.  

But hopefully it won't be too long before I get back to real workouts, as I'm on the right track.


Dailies

Monday:  
In the morning, 40 minutes of pool-running for "4 miles", followed by upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 
In the morning, 8 miles very easy, and then a stepmill workout of 4x2:00 hard, 1:00 recovery, followed by 1000 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday
:   In the morning, 50 minutes of easy pool-running for "5 miles", followed by yoga and then 2000 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  
In the morning, 7.5 miles easy, followed by a step mill workout of 6x2:00 hard, 1:15 recovery.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 
In the morning, 50 minutes of easy pool-running for "5 miles", followed by yoga and then 2000 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  
In the morning, 9 miles very easy, followed by upper body strengthwork and injury prevention work.    Yoga and foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  
In the morning, 60 minutes easy pool-running, followed by 2500 yards of swimming.   In the afternoon, did 4 miles easy right before yoga.  Some foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment