Monday, September 9, 2013

Training log - Week ending 9/8/13

This week was 5 miles of “real running” plus 64 “miles” pool running, 10.5 miles on the bike trainer and 4000 yards of swimming breathing drills -- training log is here. 

Week two.  I got my MRI results back, and they weren't too bad.  Granted, they weren't "wave a wand here and all your problems will disappear," but they were probably about the best I could expect.

DX?  A bit of everything -itis.  More specifically, plantar fascitis and tenosynovitis of my peroneals - which explains why the outside of my foot was hurting. (it was the fact that both sides were hurting that raised the concern about something else).

[so you don't have to google - tenosynovitis is inflammation of tendon sheath; tendonitis is inflammation of tendon]

Plus some really mild stuff associated with the achilles, peroneals, posterial tibial, and anterior tibial.  (for all that stuff, I'm not sure how much of it is just normal for any active person of my age and mileage).  Having ruled out anything worse, I'm now free to rehab with dry needling, eccentric work, and light running.  Yay. 

Of course, I'm now getting a return of my sciatica in the left leg, sigh.  It's one of those things that flares when I cut the running and (more importantly) the yoga/lunges/squats.  The cortisone shot broke the cycle, but the past two weeks off started a new one.  So I'm working on rehabbing that as well.  Luckily, I've got a TON of experience dealing with both my silly left leg and soft tissue injuries, so I've got a road map.


Dailies

Monday:  
In the morning, 100 minutes of beltless pool-running for "10 miles" and then upper body, core, and injury prevention strengthwork.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 
In the morning, "12 miles" in the pool, including a workout of 10x3:00 hard, 1:00 easy, followed by injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday
:   In the morning, "8 miles" beltless in the pool, followed by 1500 yards of swimming and somelower body strength and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  
In the morning, an hour of beltless pool-running for "6 miles" easy in the pool, followed by upper body, core, and injury prevention strengthwork, and then a PT appointment for dry needling.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  
In the morning, "16 miles" in the pool, including a workout of 10x3:00 hard, 1:00 easy, and then 12x45 seconds very hard, 45 seconds recovery.  I followed this with 500 yards of swimming and some injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  
In the morning, 1.5 miles easy, followed by 10.5 miles on the bike trainer and then 1200 yards of swimming breathing drills.   A bit of upper body and core strength work plus foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  
In the morning, 3.5 miles easy, and then "12 miles" in the pool, including a workout of 10x3:00 hard, 1:00 easy.   I followed this with 800 yards of swimming.  Some foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment