Monday, March 17, 2014

Training log - Week ending 3/16/14



This week was 56 miles of running and 10,000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.  

First full week of focusing on my posture.  I *sort* of added in workouts this week, meaning that I did some faster running on the track.  However, my goal wasn’t to run a specific split or a specific effort level, but rather to practice holding my posture and form correctly while running faster.  

It definitely seems to be helping.  The hamstring was a bit “wonky” on Tuesday, then better on Friday and a total non issue on the weekend.  Things aren’t perfect yet (I still lose my gait at times, and when I do, then my foot starts hurting), but they’re getting there.

The interesting thing is how much MENTAL work the form change takes.  I particularly noted it while running with others.  I can hold my correct form when running by myself, but I tend to forget it when running and chatting with others.  And I can only hold it for a certain amount of time before getting mentally tired and needing to reset.

 All things to work on.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, a yoga class and 6 miles easy running (split as 3 before class at 8:39 pace, 3 after at 8:00 pace).  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, injury rehab work and 9 miles running, including a cautious workout of 400, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, 400 (splits were 1:40, 3:13, 4:53, 4:52, 3:06, 1:22), followed by 2000 yards of easy swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   Injury rehab work, 7.5 miles easy (8:41 pace), and a yoga class, followed by 2500 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, a yoga class and 7 miles of running, split as 4 miles before yoga (8:27 pace) and 3 miles after (8:12 pace).   Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, injury rehab work and 8.5 miles running, including a cautious tempo workout of 3200 (13:26, split as 6:58/6:28) and then 1600 in 6:16, followed by 2000 yards of easy swimming.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, yoga, 4 miles easy (7:59 pace) and 2500 yards of swimming.   Foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, injury rehab work, 14 miles progressive, split as 9:01 for first 3 miles, 8:12 next 6, last 5 at 7:08, followed by yoga and 1000 yards of swimming.  Massage at night.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely. I've been working on fixing some form stuff lately & it takes SO MUCH mental energy & attention. My runs right now are not very long or very hard, but I'm still so glad when they're over!

    ReplyDelete