Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Training log - Week ending 3/23/14

This week was 56 miles of running and 10,000 yards of swimming  -- training log is here.  

Still focusing on my posture, with cautious workouts.  I'm in an interesting spot, where my aerobic fitness vastly outweighs the durability of my body, resulting in workouts that are not terribly taxing on my heart and lungs, but are also as hard as I am comfortable pushing my body right now.  Plenty of aches and pains that I'm carefully nursing as I learn how to run correctly.

The interesting thing is that the toughness of the workout, from my perspective, is determined not by pace or total volume, but how long I have to hold my form for.  7 miles easy is tougher than a 5K tempo.  Funny, that.

Dailies

Monday:   In the morning, a yoga class.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday:  In the morning, injury rehab work and 8 miles running, including intervals of an unknown distance under the Whitehurst Freeway, followed by 2500 yards of easy swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:   Injury rehab work, a yoga class and 10 miles easy running (split as 4.5 miles before at 8:38 pace, and 5.5 miles after at 8:08 pace).  Also did 2500 yards of swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:   In the morning, a yoga class and 8 miles of running, split as 3.5 miles before yoga (8:21 pace) and 3 miles after (7:57 pace).   Foam rolling at night.

Friday:  In the morning, injury rehab work and 9 miles running, including a cautious5K tempo workout (20:49, split as 6:45, 6:38, 6:37, 0:49) followed by 2500 yards of easy swimming.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:   In the morning, 7.5 miles easy (8:03 pace) and 1000 yards of swimming.   Foam-rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:   In the morning, injury rehab work, 14 miles progressive, split as 8:28 for first 3 miles, 7:52 for next 7.5, and last 3.5 at 6:59, followed by 1500 yards of swimming.  Restorative yoga and foam rolling at night.

1 comment:

  1. Re: form / effort required / speed, this is something my PT & I talked a lot about as I've been working on some form things this past year. I find the same thing -- that holding form is easier when I run faster than when I run at an "easy" pace. He said it was because speed lets you "cheat" a little -- running faster = faster turnover & less time in contact with ground = less impact = less work for muscles to do supporting your body. "Easy" runs are definitely still much harder for me!

    ReplyDelete