Monday, January 2, 2017

Training log - Week ending 1/1/2017

This week was 55 miles of running and 20 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

I don't have much faith in Garmin's
fitness estimates.  But this is
still amusing and eyecatching.
This was my first week back at "full mileage."  Full mileage is in quotes because it's still a bit lower than I'd hold during a marathon training cycle - if I was marathon training, I'd be doubling in the pool in the evenings to increase my total land+pool mileage.  But I'm going to hold off on that for now so that I have room to increase my mileage during my next marathon cycle come fall.

I've joked that my goal for the last few weeks since CIM has been to shed all that extra fitness, and I think I've accomplished that.  Or at least my Garmin thinks so.

Part of my purported fitness loss resulted from last week's head cold.  Though I had kicked the cold by the end of the week, its after effects lingered in my lungs.  For much of this week I sounded like Fran Drescher with laryngitis. Weight lifting and yoga were fine, but anything requiring aerobic effort was more challenging than I would have liked, and accompanied by coughing fits.

I managed to get in to see my asthma doctor on Friday, and she confirmed this was an asthma flare resulting from the head cold.  The solution was a 5 day blast of prednisone.

The prednisone did a great job with the asthma flare - it's magic stuff.  But (because it's magic stuff), it's not cool to race on while taking it, so I sat out the New Years races this weekend.  I did manage to get some "marathon pace feel" miles in on Saturday at the end of my not-so-long run - my first non-easy running since CIM.   I can't say I'm in great fitness, but it didn't feel too bad (of course, that could be the prednisone too....)

So that's a start.  And I get to start workouts again this week, with hill repeats on Tuesday morning. I'm looking forward to it.

Dailies 

Monday: In the morning, 10 "miles" pool-running plus yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday
: In the morning, 3.5 miles to yoga (9:47), yoga, and then 6.5 miles (9:43).  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  In the morning, 10 miles (9:42) plus drills and two hill sprints, followed by upper body and core weight training and foam rolling.

Thursday: In the morning, yoga and 10 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: In the morning, yoga and 10.5 miles (9:10) plus drills.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Saturday:  In the morning 12.5 miles (first 8.5 at 9:10, last 4 at 7:18) and upper body weights plus core and injury prevention work..  Foam rolling in the afternoon.  Smoke machines, sleep deprivation, alcohol, bouncing, obnoxious behavior at night.

Sunday: In the very late morning, 12 miles (9:23) plus drills.  Yoga in the afternoon, followed by foam rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment