Sunday, October 14, 2018

Training log - Week ending 10/14/18

This week was 53 miles of running, 35 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

I had a scare at the beginning of the week with a tight calf.  My left calf cramped up fairly badly immediately after the Army 10 Miler on Sunday.  It loosened up a few minutes later and was fine for a cooldown jog later that morning.  However, when I woke on Monday morning (scheduled as a pool-running day), it was tight and sore.

My calf was even worse on Tuesday morning, which I hoped was actually a good sign - an indication that this wasn't an injury but only lingering tenderness from the cramp.  DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) usually peaks 48 hours post-cause, while injuries tend to stay constant and then fade (if you don't re-aggravate them).  Still, I spent Tuesday in the pool to be safe.  An extra day in the pool wouldn't damage my training cycle, and I didn't want to risk a compensatory injury by running with an altered gait due to my tight calf.

I also attacked the calf aggressively with a massage on Tuesday afternoon and combining compression socks and a heating pad (on "low") when I slept to maximize blood flow to the area on Tuesday - Thursday nights (note - you do NOT want to use heat during the initial inflammatory stage of an injury  - wait at least 36-48 hours).

Either all this worked or I got lucky, but either way the calf was much improved Wednesday morning, and by Saturday I had completely forgotten about it (until I started writing this entry).  Woo.

My calf cleared up at the same time fall finally arrived, and we were gifted with fantastic running weather for the weekend - low 50s overcast, light breeze.  Sunday's workout was 2x5 miles at marathon pace effort as part of a 17 mile run.  As I have been all this cycle, I ignored my watch and just held what felt like an honest marathon effort - something that felt like I could realistically sustain it for that distance.  I was thrilled to see that marathon effort pace was 6:45 today.  

I've got the fitness to hit my goal in December if I get the right weather - the important thing now is to stay healthy and not get greedy with the training.  There's a temptation when training is going well to try to do even more - that almost always results in either overtraining, peaking too early, or injury.  Best to stick with what's working.


Dailies

Monday: 9 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core; massage in the afternoon.

Wednesday: 5 miles very easy to yoga (9:35), yoga, and then 7 miles very easy (8:37).  3 "miles" pool-running mid-day.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: Upper body weights/core and 11 "miles' pool-running; massage at night.

Friday 12 miles, including 2x3200 in 12:51 (6:29/6:22) and 12:42 (6:24/6:18).    Also injury prevention work and 1500 yards of recovery swimming.

Saturday: 12 miles very easy (8:51) plus drills/strides, followed by upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  17 miles, including a workout of 2x5 miles at MP.  Ended up splitting as: 

first 5 miles in 33:46 (6:50/6:53/6:37/6:43/6:43 - average pace of 6:46);
second 5 miles 33:37 (6:41/6:45/6:41/6:44/6:46 - average pace of 6:44)

Averaged 6:45 pace for the full 10 miles.  Also injury prevention work and 500 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.


1 comment:

  1. Terrible calf tightness struck me this week, too! It's gradually improving. I hate that I never know what causes it: I've had this tightness before, but it's out of the blue. Glad yours didn't worsen and that you got a chance to enjoy the great weather. Please send some my way...

    ReplyDelete