Monday, October 22, 2018

Training log - Week ending 10/21/18

This week was 70 miles of running, 19 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

I guess this was technically my "peak week" of marathon training, because my next two weeks may be lighter due to doing my long runs on Saturday.

It went pretty well.  As I've noted before, I'm prioritizing a high volume of high end aerobic work, which means I'm trying to max out the distance of my quality work, while taking care not to go anaerobic or strain for any of it.  I'm also only doing as much volume as I can handle while still feeling reasonably fresh - some people can do massive volume and then crawl out of a fatigue hole during taper - I can't.

That meant five 1200s on Tuesday at a controlled pace with shorter-than-normal recoveries and a five mile tempo on Friday that felt surprisingly fluid and almost easy.

Sunday's long run was the first 21 miler of this cycle (I'm only doing two 20+ runs before CIM).  It went very well.  Not as "well" as it looks below - 6:36 is not a realistic marathon pace for me.  Unless I'm running a downhill course with a 20 MPH tailwind.   Because that was the set-up for the last 7 miles of this long run.

[Well...more like 5 miles downhill with a hard crosswind and then 2 miles almost-flat with a massive tailwind.  But either way - the run was assisted.]

The downhill running was intentional -  CIM is a net downhill course, and can take a toll on one's quads.  By finishing my 21-milers with a long downhill at marathon pace effort, I intend to prep my legs for CIM.  Of course, this doesn't give me an accurate read on my fitness, but I can get that from my other marathon pace workouts.  And ultimately, I don't do workouts to assess my fitness, but to develop my fitness for race day.

I felt very comfortable during the 21 miler, and my legs were surprisingly unsore the next day.  Both of these are good signs that with two weeks of training to go (before a tune-up half-marathon and then a 3 week taper) I'm rounding into shape nicely.    The key now is to do enough over the next weeks but not to overdo it.


Dailies

Monday: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 13 miles, including a track workout of 5x1200 in 4:37, 4:35, 4:32, 4:31, 4:35.  Also injury prevention work and 1250 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:19), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (9:13) plus drills and strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday: Upper body weights/core and 10.5 "miles' pool-running; foam rolling at night.

Friday 12 miles, including an 8k tempo in 32:18 (6:38/6:29/6:27/6:25/6:20).    Also injury prevention work and 1250 yards of recovery swimming.

Saturday: 12 miles very easy (8:55) plus drills/strides, followed by upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in the afternoon.

Sunday:  21 miles progressive, split as first 7 at 8:39, next 7 at 7:32, last 7 at 6:36.
  Also injury prevention work and 500 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.



2 comments:

  1. So...I think were racing the same weekend ,and 1. You are in much better shape than me! and 2. Holy crap, your comment made me realize how close race day is. Unfortunately I have four races before then...I should probably not do that, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this - I think we're all different in what we can handle. Some people run really well off of racing frequently, and racing is also a fitness boost.

      Delete