Sunday, February 10, 2019

Training log - week ending 2/10/2019

This week was 62 miles of running, 16 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

Not all that much to report here, just getting the work in.  I'm at that point where I'm a bit impatient with where I am - there's that urge to hammer and run stuff too hard - to try to crash load my training.  Luckily, I've got umpteen years of training logs/blog posts to look back at and see that doing that never works out well - I either peak too early, get hurt, or never race well at all.

However, it's hard not to fall into that comparison trap - looking at what paces I'm running now, versus what I was running a few months ago and getting annoyed.  But, the logical part of me knows that I need to train at my current level of fitness today, not where I was back in November/December, or where I hope to be in the spring.  And I'm working pretty hard to listen to my logical side and ignore my emotional side like the petulant unreasonable child it can be.

Following that philosophy meant some relatively slow runs at the beginning of my CIM training cycle, but also meant that my fitness continuously improved and I peaked at the right time, hitting my goal (and running during the race the same marathon pace I had hit in my training runs).  So I need to do the cliche'd thing and trust in the process and know that the same will happen this year.

This week was the highest mileage week I've had since early November.  And...(not surprisingly) also featured the longest tempo workout I've done since early November, and my longest run since CIM.  So I'm not surprised that the legs are a bit tired right now.  Today's long run felt solid in pacing - I ignored my watch and just focused on a pace that felt realistically sustainable for 26 miles.  Aerobically it felt fine; the legs were definitely tired at the end, though.    

Next week I'm going to back off some on the distance of my long run, and will probably also stick to a 4 mile tempo.  The week after will be my next race - an 8K in Florida, where I have hopes of running decently fast if we get good weather.

Dailies 

Monday: yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running; foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 12 miles, including 2x1600, 2x800, 2x400 in 6:19, 6:09, 2:57, 2:54, 83, 81.  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:08), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (8:59), followed by drills and strides.  Foam rolling at night.

Thursday:  Upper body weights and core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 12 miles, including an 8K tempo in 33:04 (6:44/6:36/6:37/6:36/6:30).  Followed with injury prevention work and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.   Foam rolling at night.

Saturday:  10 miles very easy (8:36), followed by drills, strides, upper body weights and core and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday: 16 miles progressive - split as first 5 miles averaging 8:39, next 5 miles averaging 7:36, last 6 miles averaging 6:55.  Followed with light injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment