Sunday, June 2, 2019

Training log - Week ending 6/2/2019

This week was 42 miles of running, 7 "miles" of pool-running and 3000 yards of swimming -- training log is here.

A bit of a weird week, with two races and no real workouts.  Really not ideal from a half-marathon training standpoint, but the Monday road mile is a race I really enjoy, and the 5K was an opportunity to possibly hit a big PR.

Of course, neither race went well, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. 

Despite the poor racing, low mileage, and non-existent workouts, this was actually a really good week.  I'd been experiencing some fatigue ever since I was scoped out right after Broad Street - just a drained feeling that I thought was extended recovery from that race. 

But...I started my medication for my UC on Monday night, and almost immediately noted an improvement in my energy levels.  

And there's been some other pleasant effects as well.  I normally have Raynauds attacks (lose circulation and feeling in at least one of my fingers or toes) a few times a week, regardless of temperature.  Haven't had one since I started the mesalamine.  I've also noted that I just feel much less stiff than I'm used to in my hips, and that the aches there that I always work out of over the first few miles of a run have now vanished.  Pretty darn cool.  

[obligatory note: Mesalamine is completely legal under USADA/WADA, and has no performance-enhancing effects.  Other than the performance-enhancing effect of correcting a chronic health issue.]

I'm hoping that I may find out in the future that I can handle a bit more work than I've historically been able to.  We'll see.  I've got a half-marathon to run first.


Dailies 

Monday: 3.5 miles warm-up, mile race in 5:37, 3.5 mile cooldown, and later 1000 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 6 miles very easy (8:53) to yoga, yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (8:57). Foam rolling at night. 

Wednesday: Upper body weights/core and 7 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling at night. 

Thursday:  7 miles with one mile up-tempo in 6:08.  Also drills/strides.   Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 4 miles very easy (8:52) plus drills and DIY yoga.  Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday:  3.5 mile warm-up, 5K race in 19:27 (6:00/6:06/6:36/0:43), 3.5 mile cool-down. Later 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night. 

Sunday: 12 miles mildly progressive - starting at 9:22 and ending at 7:06.  Followed with light leg strengthwork and 1500 yards swimming.


No comments:

Post a Comment