Sunday, June 9, 2019

Training log - Week ending 6/9/2019

This week was 61 miles of running, 16 "miles" of pool-running and 2000 yards of swimming -- training log is here

I mixed things up a bit this week.  My team's normal routine is short intervals (or hills) on Tuesdays, long intervals or tempos on Friday, but I talked my coach into letting me tempo on Tuesday instead.  Why?  Well...

1) I had just raced a mile AND a 5K in the last week, so I had done plenty of fast running; 
2) I have a half-marathon coming up in 2 weeks -  I find 4-5 mile tempos key for racing that distance, and I had only done one tempo in the past month; 
3) it was absolutely perfect weather - 49 degrees and no wind - and I wanted to take advantage of it.

So....I ended up doing a 5 mile (8K) tempo on the track on Tuesday; long intervals on Friday; and then a marathon pace workout on Sunday.  It looks like a hard week, but was actually easy on me - tempo and marathon pace workouts are in my comfort zone and I recover pretty well from them, while too much fast running fries me.

All three workouts went well.   The Tuesday tempo was one of the easiest ever, from a mental standpoint.  Long tempos on the track of 16-20 laps are often mentally challenging, but having a nonstop rotation of my teammates jumping in and out of lane 1 for their 1200s made things stimulating instead, and the laps flew by.  The last time a tempo was this easy?  When I did a 5 mile tempo while my teammates did 400m repeats with 100m recovery.  Hmmm....


I have to admit that Sunday's workout might have been slightly harder than true marathon effort, given the weather. When I train at marathon effort, I like to adjust for the conditions - running at an effort I could sustain for 20+ miles on that day. I believe I'm currently capable of a 2:56 marathon (or faster), but I'm not sure I could run that in 70 degrees (today's weather). 
But...I was never straining or fighting; instead I was constantly pulling back to keep the effort controlled.  And I didn't feel very tired at the end - I could have added more miles or done another 3 mile segment.  So the effort was probably not too far off base.

So...a bunch of confidence boosts.  Which is good, since my goal race - the Garry Bjorklund Half -  is two weeks away. 


Dailies 

Monday: Yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning. Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 12 miles, including an 8K tempo on the track in 32:11 (6:27/6:26/6:29/6:30/6:19). Followed with leg strengthwork and 1200 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night. 

Wednesday: 8 miles very easy to yoga (8:56), plus drills and strides, and then yoga. Followed with another 4 miles very easy (8:51).  Massage in afternoon. 

Thursday: Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" pool-running in the morning. Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 12 miles, including long intervals workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:24 (6:14/6:10), and then 6:03; ~4:30 recovery between the two.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 4 miles very easy (8:48) jogging to a race; cheered for about an hour, and then 6 miles very easy (9:03) jogging to the gym.  Then drills, strides, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga, plus foam rolling.

Sunday: 15 miles - 3 mile warm-up, and then 3x3 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile float in between.   Splits were: 

first 3 in 20:07 (6:43/6:45/6:39 - 6:42 pace) 
second 3 in 20:15 (6:49/6:40/6:46 - 6:45 pace) 
last 3 in 20:07 (6:42/6:46/6:39 - 6:42 pace)  

Float mile in 7:30-7:40 pace between each 3 mile set.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 550 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment