Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Training log - Week ending 8/15/2021

This week was 58 miles of running, 1500 yards of swimming, and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

The weather was pretty tough for much of this week - I ended up cutting Tuesday's workout way short (it was supposed to be 2000, 3x800, 2x400) when I overheated early on.  Friday's weather was miserable also, so I decided to do a tempo workout on the treadmill.  It wasn't much better inside (temp of 78/dew point of 71) but that way I had shade, a fan, and easy access to water.  I broke the tempo into intervals with very short jogged recoveries (to drink water) and it worked well.

We were promised a nice day on Sunday, but it didn't quite materialize.  The dew point dropped from the mid-70s to 70, which was better, but still sticky.  I was happy though, as I had a good long run on Sunday - rhythmic and controlled.

I did have an MRI-Enterography (an "MRE") of my small intestine on Tuesday - for prep I fasted a few hours, and then drank three bottles of liquid stuff over 90 minutes that bloated me nicely (so that they could see the intestine structure clearly.  Apparently people complain about the liquid stuff, but I didn't mind - I thought it tasted like flat Mountain Dew (I could be wrong, since I haven't had Mountain Dew in a very very very long time).  Anyways, having done several colonoscopies, and having thus drunk several colonoscopy prep solutions, I thought this was much much better tasting, and I was able to chug it easily.

The MRE didn't show any indications of Crohns, which was really good news.  It did show a significant amount of partially digested food in my stomach and small intestine, despite a 4.5 hour fast.  So now I have a follow-up appointment on that.  In sadly humorous fashion, the GI doctor's office called to tell me that the doctor wanted to see me at his next available opening.  That opening?  Late September.  So I'm guessing it's not that urgent.

But the good news is - no Crohns, just Ulcerative Colitis (though one isn't necessarily better or worse than the other).  The better news is that the Lialda that I'm now taking seems to really be helping.  If that's the fix, then I'm a very happy woman.


Dailies

Monday: 9 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday
11 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 800, and 2x400m in 8:07, 3:05, 91, 89.  5 minute recovery between the 2000 and the 800, full recovery otherwise.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  9 miles easy (9:37) with drills and four strides, followed by streaming yoga and then 3 miles very easy on the treadmill (9:35).    Foam rolling at night.

Thursday
 9 "miles" of pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday10 miles, including a tempo workout on the treadmill of 4x5 minutes, 2x3 minutes, 4 minutes at tempo effort (pace was 7:09) all with 1 minute jogging recovery.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 10.5 miles very easy  (9:34) plus drills and four hill sprints.  Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday: 14 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:05 pace, next 4 averaging 8:07, next 5 averaging 7:15, and then a .5 mile jog.  
Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment