Sunday, August 29, 2021

Training log - Week ending 9/29/2021

This week was 63 miles of running, 1500 yards of swimming, and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

I was pretty happy with this week, which was the first week of my training for Indy Monumental Marathon.   I feel like I'm absorbing and responding to my training, rather than just pushing through.  And running just feels better each week. 

I did get my iron checked again this week, and unsurprisingly it was much improved - I've gone from an iron saturation of 17% to 40%.  Which matches how I feel. 

I did feel a bit tired for Tuesday's workout - which I suspect is because I was recovering from Sunday's long run.  As my long runs get more intense, it takes longer to recover from them; for that reason I think I'm going to start taking two easy days after each long run from now through the end of this training cycle.

Friday's workout does require a bit of an explanation.  It was warm and humid by the time I started the workout, and so I decided to break it into mile repeats with a short 1 minute jog between each to keep my heart rate from rising too much.  However, after 3 repeats I decided I had been a bit too ambitious (I should have done 5 minute segments instead) so I took a longer jog to get my heart rate under control and then did two more shorter segments.  I still got 30 minutes of work in at tempo, so I called it a success.   It wasn't ideal, but that's tempo workouts in August for you.

Dailies

Monday: 9 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday
12miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400 in 4:47, 4:44, 3:06, 3:01, 87, and 87  (~3 minute recoveries after each 1200 or 800, 1:40 recovery between the two 400s.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  8.5 miles very easy (9:36), followed by upper body weights/core and then 3.5 miles very easy (9:09) plus drills, two hill strides, and two flat strides.    Foam rolling at night.

Thursday
 9 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday12 miles, including a cruise interval workout of 3x1 mile and 2x5 minutes at tempo effort with 60 seconds recovery between each (except for 3 minutes between the last mile and the first 5 minute segment.  Splits/paces were 6:45, 6:44, 6:40, 6:40 and 6:36.  
After full recovery, also did four 30 second pick-ups with 60 second jog in between.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 10.5 miles very easy (9:20) plus drills and four hill sprints, followed by upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday: 16 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:29 pace, next 5 averaging 7:59 pace, next 6 averaging 7:14 pace, and then a .5 mile jog.  
Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment