Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Training log - Week ending 8/1/2021

This week was 60 miles of running, 1500 yards of swimming, and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

My coach was on vacation this week, so I subbed in for him, supervising the Tuesday and Friday morning workouts.   Which meant that I did my own workouts on Monday and Thursday mornings.  

Apparently odd things happen when you mix up the days.  On Monday I encountered a woman walking clockwise in lane 1 who insisted that she was correct in doing so.  (She left after I emphasized to her that she was going to get hurt if she continued.) 

Thursday I headed to Hains Point only to realize that Thursday mornings are apparently "Hains Point Hammerfest" time for cyclists, meaning that both lanes of Hains Point (usually shared somewhat peaceably by runners, cyclists, and drivers) were dominated by pelotons of cyclists hitting upwards of 30 mph.  I was debating heading home to do my tempo on the treadmill when their Hammerfest ended and I was able to safely focus on my tempo.  (by then it was late enough in the morning that the weather just sucked).

Saturday's long run, in unseasonably nice weather, was mostly OK - the only hiccup was the woman who was laudably picking up her dog's poop on one side of the path, but less laudably allowing her leashed dog to explore the other side of the path, meaning the leash extended over the entire width of the path...  

I'm still way out of breath at any sort of of aerobic exercise, be it swimming or running.  Last week I swapped my iron supplement from Vitron-C (taken every other day) to SlowFE (every day), and I thought I felt slightly better as the week went on, after adjusting for the weather.  But of course, hard to know for sure.  

My next doctor's appointment is on Tuesday, so we can discuss what next steps are then.  In the meantime, I've just been trying to train by effort and heart rate, figuring that as long as I respect those and ignore paces I won't do any damage.  If I stopped training altogether, I'd have no way to be sure whether the out of breath feeling was from being out of shape or from iron deficiency/IBD (or from something else).


Dailies

Monday
12 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200m, 2x800m, 2x400m, and 2x200m in 4:57, 4:51, 3:10, 3:08, 92, 90, 43, and 43.  3:00 recoveries after the 1200s and 800s; 90 second recoveries after the 400s and 200s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night.

Tuesday: 3 miles easy outside (9:30), supervise team track workout, then 9 miles very easy on treadmill (9:36), followed by streaming yoga.  
Foam rolling at night.

Wednesday:  12 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.   Foam rolling at night.

Thursday
 11 miles, including a tempo workout of 2 miles, 1 mile in 14:05 (7:12/6:53) and 6:51, with 5 minutes jog in between, and then four sets of 30 seconds at mile effort with 60 seconds jog.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday2 miles easy outside (10:00), drills and supervision of team track workout, and then 8 miles very easy on treadmill (9:38), followed by streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 15 miles total, split with the first 5 miles averaging 9:49 pace, the next 4.5 miles averaging 8:20 pace, and the next 5 miles averaging 7:20 pace, before jogging to make it 15 miles.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.   Foam rolling in evening.

Sunday: In the morning, streaming yoga and 6 "miles" pool-running.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment