Sunday, December 5, 2021

Training log - Week ending 12/5/2021

This week was 67 miles of running, ~1500 yards of swimming (some was in meters) and 9 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Yes - this week's mileage looks inflated, but that's because I ran on Monday instead of pool-running.  On a normal week this would have been 59 miles plus a bit more pool-running.

Things are continuing to trend upwards, so that's good.  Focusing on keeping my quads relaxed and pulling my heels to my butt really seems to be the trick here.    I tried my first tempo workout in quite a few weeks on Friday, and it wasn't bad.  I note that my first mile of the tempo workout was faster than my first 800 of the interval workout - that's just standard for this weird thing that I'm dealing with.

For the last few weeks, I've been doing my long run on a route that is uphill going out, and downhill coming back.  Part of my reason for choosing this route was that it was always easiest for me to start running uphill, and save the downhill running for when I was more limber.  The slight assist from the downhill on the way back was also helpful.

Since I'm now doing a bit better, I swapped to a pancake flat location for today's run - loops of Hains Point.  I felt a bit unsteady on the first mile, but then fine, and I was really happy with how the run progressed.  Fitness wise, I've got a long way to go, but at least the coordination issues are improving substantially.

On Saturday I also got my long awaited brain and spine MRI.  It took 2 hours, but wasn't as bad as it sounds, since they did it in four parts.  Part 1 was the brain, and then they pulled me out and rearranged me for the spine and sent me back in.  After 40 minutes of that, I rolled back out to get some contrast injected, and then back in for a second round of spine.  Then out one more time to rearrange back to the brain position for another 15 minutes to finish that up.

Plus - I like the MRI sounds, so I find the whole thing entertaining.  I did find the brain MRI a bit claustro at first - the MRI tunnel itself doesn't bug me too much, but for brain MRIs they encase your head in a cage with padding to immobilize your head.  The head cage PLUS the mask PLUS the whole tube thing was a bit much at first, but I just did some yoga breathing and then settled down to enjoy the ride.

And no, I haven't looked at the CD yet - that requires a CD reader, which we've been unable to dig up so far.

Dailies:

Monday: 8 miles very easy (9:32) with drills and four strides, followed with upper body weights/core.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 3:33, 3:27, 6:44, 3:17, 3:13, 45, and 46.  Recoveries of 2:35 to 3:10 after the 800s; 5:30 recovery after the 1600, full recovery for the 200s.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday:  Streaming yoga and 10 miles very easy (9:31), plus drills and four hill strides.   Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Friday: 11 miles, including a tempo workout of 3200, 1600 in 13:58 (7:02/6:56) and 6:41 with 5 minutes jog in between.  Followed with 4x200 in 45, 44, 44, 45.  Then leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in evening.

Saturday: 10 miles (9:37) plus drills and then streaming yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 15 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 9:36 pace, next 5 miles averaging 8:23 pace, next 5 miles averaging 7:23 pace.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 meters recovery swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment