Sunday, November 28, 2021

Training log - Week ending 11/28/2021

This week was 43 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming, and 21 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

After a few days off, I started running again on Wednesday.  I didn't feel any better for the time off - in fact I felt a bit less stable.  This is not surprising, since I seem to do better when I'm practicing the skill of running and worse when I don't.  However, I did steadily improve, and by Saturday I was about where I had left off. 

I've been playing around with different drills, form cues, etc - trying to figure out what is wrong with my running gait and how to fix it.  In general, I'm not a big fan of focusing too much on form - everyone's gait is unique.  I have witnessed many many runners end up much worse off after trying to force themselves to land on their forefoot, fire their glutes, etc.

[you can actually identify the people who have gotten messed up - there's a characteristic stiff-backed, floppy-handed way of going, accompanied by the ability to simultaneously overstride while landing on one's forefoot.] 

At the same time, my form is already screwed up, and so anything I can do to unwind that is worth trying.  Simply running up and down hills has been a big help, along with the arsenal of running drills.  After doing some reading, I started playing with some running drills from cross-fit, of all things.  And one drill that seems to really help me is to think about lifting my heels to my butt while running.  Obviously they don't get all the way there, but holding that thought in my mind seems to really help with my current gait issues.  It helps the most when I am running downhill - as soon as I feel wobbly, I try to lift my heels up with each stride, and I'm immediately more stable.  Very interesting.

Dailies:

Monday: 6 "miles" of pool-running.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 6 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling in evening.

Wednesday:  Streaming yoga and 8 miles very easy (9:37), plus drills, two flat strides, two downhill strides.   Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 10 miles including 8 hill repeats of about 2:15-2:20 each.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night. 

Friday: 10 miles very easy (9:40), drills, two strides, and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night. 

Saturday: 14.5 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:32 pace, next 5 miles averaging 8:25 pace, next 4.5 miles averaging 7:17 pace, and then a half-mile jog.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

Sunday:  Streaming yoga and 90 minutes of pool-running.  Foam rolling in afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment