Monday, April 4, 2022

Training log - Week ending 4/3/2022

This week was 42 miles of running, 500 yards of swimming and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Yup, more steady improvement.  I arguably did a bit too much this week, with four hard-to-medium-hard days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday) with just one easier day after each.  I'll be the first to admit I did a bit too much on a race week.  OTOH, my goal right now is to re-establish my running gait, not to optimize my performance in races, so I was fine with the trade-off.

Some big positives this week - especially in how much more stable I felt during Sunday's 5K.  I still have a long road in front of me, but things are improving.

Two things that have really seemed to help are a) working on my pelvic floor with some simple exercises that take less than 5 minutes a day and b) playing with my armswing to keep my hands higher and closer to my chest (I tend to swing them a bit lower).  I discovered the latter during my race on Sunday, and it really helped.  I'll test it out again during my track workout on Tuesday.

I'm also getting the second round of platelet lysate injections in my back on Tuesday, so that will be another few days off.

Dailies:

Monday:  10 miles gently progressive, split as first 4 miles averaging 9:52, next 3 miles averaging 8:32, next 3 miles averaging 7:42.   Foam rolling at night. 

Tuesday: 9 "miles" of pool-running and streaming yoga.   Foam rolling at night. 

Wednesday: 9 miles, including a track workout of 6x800 in 3:30, 3:25, 3:25, 3:23, 3:23, 3:23, with 2:2x-2:3x recovery between each.   Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.  ART session in afternoon.

Friday: 8 miles, including some random 100s, 200s, and 400s with full recovery (just working on form and gait).  100s were 22-23 seconds, 200s were 47-51 seconds, 400s were 1:39-1:42.  Foam rolling at night

Saturday: 5 miles very easy outside (9:45).  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 3.5 mile warm-up, and then a 5K race in 21:08.  3.5 miles easy after (9:53), followed by injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.


No comments:

Post a Comment