Sunday, March 12, 2023

Training log - Week ending 3/12/2023

This week was 53 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming, and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

The first part of the week was race recovery, before returning to the track on Friday with a short workout that felt pretty decent for tired legs.

Last week, I started wearing a big toe spacer during my easy runs.  It's essentially a silicone ring that I wear on my big toe, with a block attached to the ring that keeps my big toe separate from the other toes.  It also prevents me from curling my big toe under my foot.

I started with shorter runs, because the spacer does make my foot work slightly differently.    In particular, it makes the arches of my feet work a bit more.  

It also makes my feet feel more stable - likely because I'm now running on a wider foot.   I've noticed the difference especially when running downhill or trying to run fast.   I think that I've been experiencing a chain reaction of sorts when I run - in certain situations, my feet start curling under.  As a result, I feel less stable.  Which then causes me to clench my feet even more, and I get even less stable, and....bad cycle.  The big toe spacer breaks the cycle.

I did my first workout with the big toe spacer in my shoe on Friday, and I was pretty darn happy with it.  It's so much easier to push off with my foot now.

Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" pool-running.   Foam rolling at night.  

Tuesday: Upper body weights/core and 8 miles easy (9:24) plus strides.  Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: Streaming yoga and 10 miles easy (9:19) plus drills and strides.   Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 10 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 14:04 (7:07/6:57) and 6:44 with 5:15 recovery in between.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: Streaming yoga and 10 miles easy (8:53) plus drills and two strides.

Sunday: 14 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:07 pace, next 4 miles averaging 7:49 pace, and next 5 miles averaging 7:27 pace, followed by a mile cooldown jog.  Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.




No comments:

Post a Comment