Sunday, August 13, 2023

Training log - Week ending 8/13/2023

This week was 65 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming, and 18 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

A pretty boring week.   We had some nice cool weather in the middle of the week before it heated up for the weekend.  I wish my paces were faster, but gotta train where one is.  At least I'm getting better at grass running and trail running.  

I am playing around a bit more with the medication I take for the dystonia in my lower legs.  It seems that I'm on slightly too high a dose, which is why I'm having a bit of trouble rolling through my feet and pushing off.  Of course, too low a dose has its own issues too, and since I'm a fairly small person, we have to be pretty precise with the dose to get it right.  So we're still fine-tuning things.

And yes, I am very familiar with Botox being used for dystonia.  However, it's not a good choice for me because a) the problem is not with one specific muscle, but with several; and b) selectively weakening lower leg muscles makes sense for people who just want to walk normally or to run a few miles a couple times a week.  But I want to continue to train seriously, and so weakening my lower leg muscles creates an unacceptable risk of compensation injury.

Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday:  11 miles, with a track workout of 1600, 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400 in 7:04, 5:09, 5:03, 319, 3:17, 96, 97.  4 minutes recovery after the 1600, 3 minutes recovery after the 1200s, and equal time recovery after the 800s and 400s.  Followed with leg strengthwork.  Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: 9.5 miles very easy (9:32), including some grass-running and drills/downhill strides; then upper body weights/core, followed by 2.5 miles very easy (9:28).   Sports massage in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 10 miles, including a 6400m track tempo in 28:02 (7:08/7:01/6:55/6:58), plus 2x200m in 49 seconds each.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 11 miles very easy trail running (10:51) plus drills/strides and then upper body weights/core.  Foam rolling at night.

Sunday: 20.5 miles progressive, split with the first 10 miles averaging 9:30 pace, the next 6.5 miles averaging 8:46 pace, and the next 4 miles averaging 8:13 pace. Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment