Sunday, August 27, 2023

Training log - Week ending 8/27/2023

This week was 54 miles of running, 1000 yards of swimming, and 24 "miles" of pool-running -- training log is here.

Though it looks low in mileage, this was actually a heavy week - I averaged 13.5 miles on each day I did run, with some high volume quality in there (8x800 and then the 8K tempo followed by the long run the next morning).  

This was intentional, as this was my final week of strength building.  At this point, I think I have all the strength I need for the marathon and then some - my legs feel heavy but also like they could go forever (I did have to cut Saturday's long run a mile short, but that was because I started the run too late and it got too hot, not because the distance was an issue).  For me personally, once I get to this point I can keep that strength for a really long time.  Thus, there's no real reason to do more work on endurance.  

So even though I'm still about 7 weeks out from Chicago I'm going to pull back on the mileage a bit to get my legs a bit fresher for some faster running.  I know I can cover 26 miles without issue; it's just a question of how fast I can do it.

Dailies:

Monday:  9 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Tuesday:  12 miles, including a track workout of 8x800 in 3:35, 3:30, 3:31, 3:29, 3:26, 3:25, 3:26, 3:26 with 3 minute recovery after each.  Followed with leg strengthwork. Foam rolling in evening.
 
Wednesday: 8 miles very easy (9:54) with some grass running and drills/strides, followed by upper body weights/core.  Then jogged 3 miles home (9:42).  Foam rolling in evening.

Thursday: 9 "miles" pool-running and streaming yoga.  Foam rolling in evening.

Friday: 12 miles, including an 8K tempo in 36:35 (7:18/7:19/7:18/7:23/7:17) followed with 500 yards recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

Saturday: 19 miles, mostly easy but with a fartlek of 10x2 minutes on/5 minutes jog in the second hour.  Followed with 500 yards recovery swimming. Foam rolling at night.

Sunday:  1 hour pool-running and injury prevention work.  Foam rolling at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment